Principal Database Engineer at Alarm.com (Washington DC)
The Principal SQL Database Administrator will manage SQL Server databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to life-safety/mission critical production. As a Principal DBA, this role will also require mentorship and oversight of a small team of DBA's.
Primary job responsibilities include:
- Design and implement multi-site Microsoft SQL Server Always On.
- Own, track and resolve database related incidents and requests within SLAs
- Plan and perform automated and attended database maintenance activities via planned and unplanned windows
- Implement monitoring, auditing, data backup and recovery solutions.
- Maintain the integrity of the company’s security and compliance programs as it relates to the database infrastructure
- Provide technical direction to Engineering teams on best practices for deploying applications. Serve as the company’s inhouse Microsoft SQL Server evangelist and expert advisor.
- BA. or B.S. (or higher-level degree) in Computer Science or a similar engineering
- 10+ years of experience in database implementations and support of Microsoft SQL Server in highly available/highly transactional and OLAP environments
- Experience in Database Administration in Microsoft SQL Server (2017 & 2019)
- Mastery in SQL Server Distributed Always On and all other high availability database features is a must
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues, migration issues, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, replication issues, log shipping issues, connectivity issues, security issues etc.
- Experience in Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, using Performance Monitor, SQL Profiler and other related monitoring and troubleshooting tool
- Ability to detect and troubleshoot SQL Server related CPU, Memory, I/O, Storage, and other resource contention
- Strong knowledge of backups, restores, recovery models, database shrink operations, Dynamic Management Views, Clustering, Database mirroring, auditing, and replication
- Expert experience in implementing operational automation
- Strong knowledge of how indexes, index management, integrity checks, configuration, encryption, patching. How statistics work, how indexes are stored, how they can be created and managed effectively
- SQL Development – ability to write and troubleshoot SQL Code and design (stored procs, functions, tables, views, triggers, indexes, constraints)
- Documentation skills for processes and procedures
- SQL Database Operational support to tech users
- On call availability
Alarm.com is the leading cloud-based platform for smart security and the Internet of Things. More than 6 million home and business owners depend on our solutions every day to make their properties safer, smarter, and more efficient. And every day, we’re innovating new technologies in rapidly evolving spaces including AI, video analytics, facial recognition, machine learning, energy analytics, and more. Alarm.com earned the Top Workplace™ award for our employee culture and the meaningful work we do to give property owners peace of mind, help them conserve energy and water, and stay connected to loved ones. We’re seeking those who are passionate about creating change through technology and who want to make a lasting impact on the world around them.Our solutions are exclusively distributed through a network of authorized service providers.
For more information, please visit www.alarm.com.
Alarm.com offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package starting on day one of employment including 100% paid medical for employees, a health savings account option with company contribution, waiver allowance, 401(k) with employer match, paid holidays, paid time off starting at 4 weeks and increasing with tenure and paid maternity/paternity leave. We offer a casual dress work environment, annual company retreat, grocery delivery and in suite bike racks and showers.
Alarm.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In connection with your application, we collect information that identifies, reasonably relates to or describes you (“Personal Information”). The categories of Personal Information that we may collect include your name, government-issued identification number(s), email address, mailing address, other contact information, emergency contact information, employment history, educational history, criminal record, and demographic information. We collect and use those categories of Personal Information about you for human resources and other business management purposes, including identifying and evaluating you as a candidate for potential or future employment, record keeping in relation to recruiting and hiring, conducting criminal background checks as permitted by law, conducting analytics, and ensuring compliance with applicable legal requirements and Company policies.JR102612