An individual contributor role that provides the highest level of leadership in the design, development, and integration of strategic, high-priority business applications across the entire software development lifecycle (Agile). This role also provides guidance to others to support the building of complex technical capabilities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Acts as the principal builder of large-scale data processing systems and data lakes, optimized for both computational and storage efficiency on Google Cloud Platform. Applies deep technical knowledge on data modeling and best engineering practices.
- Independently delivers results, creating value for the CNA brand, customers, and key internal stakeholders. Works with external (and offshore) resources as required.
- Leads the design, implementation and automation of data pipelines sourcing data from internal and external systems, transforming the data for the optimal needs of various systems and business requirements.
- Leads robust unit testing to ensure deliverables match the design and provides expertise to support subsequent release testing.
- Actively adheres to established quality and reliability standards, and ensures team adheres to the same quality and standards working in an Agile development environment.
- Leads the design of complex physical data models, projects and cloud-based data lake constructs including SQL/NoSQL database systems. Leads the creation of integrated data views based on business or analytics requirements.
- Researches and leads the identification and implementation of process improvements that address complex technology gaps. Builds strong knowledge of technology enablers.
- Leads the design and building of data solutions and applications that enable reporting, analytics, data science, and data management.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies. Drives the evolution of CNA application development processes and standards.
- Applies machine learning to work as applicable.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically Director or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Expert knowledge of relational database concepts, data modeling and ETL/ELT.
- Expert knowledge of data integration design and development, ensuring accuracy and ease of consumption. Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Proficient in Python or advanced SQL in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with peers and team members in a highly matrixed environment.
- Strong experience in building data analytics solutions using Google Cloud Platform services such as Google BigQuery, Cloud Storage, Dataflow, DataProc, Pub/Sub, Cloud Composer, or DataPrep. AWS, including, Amazon Redshift, Postgres, Elastic MapReduce a plus.
- Preferred experience with the insurance industry, its products and services.
- Strong experience in implementing big data processing technology. Apache Spark preferred.
- Working knowledge of Business Intelligence tools.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree with Master's preferred in Computer Science, Information Technology, related discipline or equivalent work experience.
- 7+ years of experience in data, analytics or application development.
- 3+ years of coding proficiency in at least one programming language (Python, Java, SQL).
- Experience using Agile methods preferred.
- Previous project leadership experience preferred.
- Applicable certifications preferred (GCP, Data Engineering).