Contrast Security Ranked One of the Fastest-Growing Companies in North America on the 2021 Deloitte Technology Fast 500™
Contrast Security is the world’s leading provider of security technology that enables software applications to protect themselves against cyberattacks, heralding the new era of self-protecting software. Contrast's patented deep security instrumentation is the breakthrough technology that enables highly accurate assessment and always-on protection of an entire application portfolio, without disruptive scanning or expensive security experts. Only Contrast has sensors that work actively inside applications to uncover vulnerabilities, prevent data breaches, and secure the entire enterprise from development to operations, to production.
About the Position
We're looking for a motivated, highly-experienced MySQL Database Administrator. As a key member of the Cloud Engineering team, you are part of a team responsible for ensuring availability, reliability, responsiveness, and scalability across all Contrast production databases. You are deeply hands-on with MySQL capacity management, backup, and recovery; as well as database replication, tuning, monitoring, and telemetry. You enjoy developing database best practices, documenting them, and using that documentation to create automated runbooks to reduce toil.
We expect you to challenge conventional wisdom. You are a teammate interested in the products we work on and have a passion for making the Internet a safer place.
This is a full-time position that can work remotely anywhere in the U.S.
- Operate, tune and improve multiple RDS Instances
- Collaborate with Engineering teams to profile instance resource usage, optimize and tweak both query and schema.
- Collaborate with the Architecture team on the use of alternative storage strategies for data (S3/EMR, Elasticsearch, Kafka, etc)
- Own and maintain aspects of the Contrast Business Continuity plan as they pertain to customer data and database availability
- Plan, coordinate and schedule upgrades, migrations, and schema redesign efforts along with business stakeholders
- Own and maintain appropriate documentation (code & Confluence) around specification, runbooks, etc
- Support Cloud Engineering Team during Incidents and OnCall escalations that require database expertise
- You have demonstrable experience tuning the MySQL server through an RDS parameter group
- You have expert knowledge of the InnoDB storage engine from query through an optimizer to layout on disk
- You have experience and opinions about the use of MySQL features such as stored procedures, triggers, and the event scheduler
- You have demonstrable experience using MySQL engine status to hunt down deadlock conditions and drive root cause to resolution
- You have demonstrable experience making multiple schema changes on large tables in a busy environment
- You possess experience managing multiple production database instances via code. (Cloudformation, Terraform, etc)
- You can share stories about the many mistakes you've made throughout your career and what you have done to recover and prevent them
- You understand the limitations of MySQL and have experience with common workarounds when such limitations are reached
- You are familiar with team tooling such as git, IDE's, and pull requests
- Ideally, you have worked in a fast-growing start-up
- Ideally, you have an AWS Solutions Architect or SysOps certification
- Ideally, you are a MySQL badass with a strong desire to implement the next right storage strategy for non-relational data needs
- Ideally, you have a strong familiarity with common Java DB libraries such as connection pools (e.g. Hikari, C3P0) and ORMs (e.g. Hibernate), or you have a desire to learn more about them from the perspective of how they impact the database
- BONUS: You have a desire to expand your skillset to include IaC
What We Offer
- Competitive Compensation
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible paid time off
We are changing the world of software security. Do it with us.
We believe in what we do and are passionate about helping our customers secure their business.
If you’re looking for a challenge and want to enjoy where you work, you’ll love Contrast Security.
Contrast Security is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Contrast Security is an equal opportunity employer and our team is comprised of individuals from many diverse backgrounds, lifestyles, and locations.
By submitting your application, you are providing Personal Information about yourself (cover letter, resume, email address, etc.) and hereby give your consent for Contrast Security, Inc. and/or our HR-related Service Providers, to use this information for the purpose of processing, evaluating and responding to your application for current and future career opportunities. If you are a resident of the European Economic Area or are applying for a position in the European Economic Area, Contrast’s Privacy Statement reflects our policies around compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) and your rights respective to GDPR as a California resident, you are entitled to certain rights under CCPA: The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) will go into effect on January 1, 2020. Under CCPA, businesses must be overtly transparent about the personal information they collect, use, and store on California residents. CCPA also gives employees, applicants, independent contractors, emergency contacts and dependents (“CA Employee”) new rights to privacy.
Recruitment Agencies: Although we value the services you provide, at this time we are not accepting resumes from agencies, headhunters, or other suppliers who have not signed a formal agreement with us.
More Information on Contrast Security
Contrast Security operates in the Cybersecurity industry. The company is located in Los Altos, CA and Baltimore, MD. Contrast Security was founded in 2014. It has 345 total employees. It offers perks and benefits such as Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Disability Insurance, Dental Benefits, Vision Benefits, Health Insurance Benefits and Life Insurance. To see all 21 open jobs at Contrast Security, click here.
Read Full Job Description