Manager Business Intelligence Business Analyst at Travelers (Hartford, CT)
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
$82,300.00 - $135,800.00
What Is the Opportunity?
The candidate will act as Product Owner/Team Lead and will lead the Risk Control team within the Business Insurance Data & Analytics Shared Value Stream, Information Insights circle. In this role, the candidate will lead an agile team to build , deliver, and support the Risk Control capability. This role will work closely with Product Managers, Scrum Masters, Senior Leadership, Agile coaches, and Customer Success to ensure appropriate planning and execution of analytics priorities, in alignment with BI objectives. As a Product Owner, the candidate will work with Sr. Product owner/peers to build and coach a high performance team to adapt and improve services and capabilities. The Product Owner will also be responsible for both managing and prioritizing the team backlog in accordance with top priority work across Business Insurance.
Work with business customers to determine how Business Intelligence information and analytic solutions can be leveraged to support business strategies, capabilities, and processes. Accountable for full spectrum of business analysis functions for multiple workflows/projects of medium to larger scope. This position is responsible for: Eliciting, analyzing, specifying, documenting, communicating and validating business intelligence requirements. Collaborating in the development of BI capabilities and ensures alignment of these capabilities to BI strategies and roadmaps. Driving consensus among business stakeholders and IT about the business needs and their feasibility. Coordinating and executing user acceptance testing. Communicating business intelligence requirements to diverse stakeholder groups to create a shared understanding of the business needs. Acting as a liaison on Business Intelligence initiatives between business users and technology team.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Product Owner / Team Lead Responsibilities
- Accountable for agile execution in partnership with Tech Lead, Scrum Master and Customer Success
- Work with the team to define dependencies, risks and acceptance criteria
- Coach / train and support team to effective execution based on business understanding
- Define, prioritize and ensure a ready backlog of work for a smaller scale product team, accept final product output, focusing on achievement of defined outcomes versus defining how the work is completed.
- Understand and implement team goals and strategy, ensuring alignment with circle and value stream vision; Articulate team goals and strategy effectively to key stakeholders, Circle Leads and team members.
- Own team backlog, including prioritization and refinement; Make trade-off decisions to maximize value.
- Partner with Circle Leads and peers to effectively communicate resources required to achieve defined business outcomes.
- Foster an innovative, inclusive and diverse team environment, promoting positive team culture, encouraging collaboration and self-organization.
- Coach, guide and mentor junior team leads and develop them into true product owners.
- Have awareness of press, changes and/or issues and communicate up as necessary
Business Analyst Responsibilities.
- Ensures that the business capability requirements align to the business intelligence and data strategy roadmaps.
- Elicits, analyzes, specifies, documents, communicates and validates business intelligence requirements for assigned workflows/projects.
- Responsible for developing a requirement approach for business intelligence initiatives, including developing estimates and timelines for business analyst deliverables.
- Responsible for the ongoing rationalization of business intelligence assets to ensure they are providing utmost value for business outcomes.
- Leads the execution of business analyst best practices in business intelligence; provides feedback and input into process improvements. Aids in the development of best practices.
- Defines the capabilities that satisfy the broader business requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring that requirement deliverables are compliant, auditable, unambiguous, complete, consistent, understood clearly and meet the business and technical needs of the project.
- Offers insight and alternatives and obtains consensus among stakeholders. (May provide assistance on obtaining census to more junior staff where consensus difficult to reach).
- Ensures requirement traceability is established and managed throughout the project lifecycle on more complex projects.
- Facilitates cross functional requirement sessions about complex information needs and documents requirements; includes working with stakeholders to prioritize requirements based on aligned Business Intelligence capabilities and business need.
- Review and provide business expertise to project requirements on Travelers business processes, products, and/or supporting systems.
- Point of contact for business throughout and after project implementation.
- Facilitates and utilizes the best practices for user acceptance testing (UAT) including creation, socialization, and execution of UAT plans.
- Leads user groups and development of more complex documents, requirements and business process flows.
- Aids in developing best practices regarding implementation readiness, user adoption, support, including communication, training and rollout plans on business intelligence solutions.
- Provides project management support as necessary.
- Aids in the design and implementation of all best practices used in business analysis.
- Responsible for managing and fostering collaborative business and IT relationships.
- Understands the business functions, processes, and overall business strategies.
- Adheres and supports all data management practices and governance practices.
- Leads medium to large size projects as needed.
- May provide guidance to more junior team members.
- Bachelors Degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics), Business, or equivalent education and four years of business analysis experience required; or, five years of business analysis or analytics experience required.
- Demonstrated intermediate analytic and diagnostic skills required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 4 years supporting the development of Business Intelligence solutions preferred.
- 2 years in leadership role on projects preferred.
- Previous experience leading others preferred.
- General understanding of the business functions, processes, and overall business strategies preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Demonstrated intermediate interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated intermediate communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Intermediate project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to see results to completion.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others.
- Intermediate business acumen.
- Seeks opportunities to learn and to influence others.
- Intermediate problem solving and decision making skills.
- Experience and ability using BI tools (as an end user) preferred.
- Ability to interact effectively with others across functions.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Ability to consider others' ideas seriously and accept feedback.
- Build and maintain credibility with others.
- If incumbent leads others, intermediate leadership skills including ability to:
- Leverage Differences. manage in participative manner, and develop employees.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/ .
Careers at Travelers
When you work at Travelers, life's most important moments become your life's work. That means helping families feel secure, businesses to prosper, knowing that you've made a difference, and feeling like you belong to something bigger. It also means being part of a team comprised of 30,000 + talented and passionate people that are evolving to meet changing needs - from customer service to data science and beyond. If that's more than you imagined in an insurance career, it's time to join us at Travelers.