Machine Learning Engineer (Remote) at Mercari US
Mercari is Your Marketplace. We make it super easy to sell (or buy) almost anything. We all have things we don’t use, never used or simply outgrew. But that stuff still has value. Mercari gives you the power to simply sell it, ship it, and earn some cash for it. Fashion to toys. Sporting goods to electronics. All the brands you know and love. Our mission is simple: to make selling easier than buying. And with 50M+ downloads in the U.S. and 350k+ new listings every day, we're just getting started.
The ideal candidate is eager to take on increasing responsibilities while working with stakeholders prototyping and designing new features and preferably has the experience to develop an end-to-end machine learning system in production.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Working closely with Growth and Marketing teams helping design and build machine learning models utilizing massive amounts of data.
- Use machine learning, deep learning, natural language processing to make models across recommendation, search, image recognition and so on.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Industry experience building and producing innovative end-to-end Machine Learning systems.
- Experience working on production machine learning systems at scale, data mining, ranking, recommendations, and/or natural language processing.
- Solid engineering and coding skills. Ability to write high-performance production quality code. High proficiency in Python, Java, Scala or other equivalent languages.
- Solid Experience with machine learning libraries - Scikit-Learn, PyTorch, or other related ML libraries
- 5+ years experience with end-to-end machine learning projects
- MS/PhD in Computer Science or related technical field.
- Experience with TensorFlow, Deeplearning4j, or related deep learning libraries.
- Experience with Apache Spark, Apache Beam a plus.
- Experience with developing microservices with docker and kubernetes to serve machine learning models.
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform / Amazon Web Services.
- At Go Bold Days (internal hackathon), we created instant listings where you can list an item with full details by just taking one picture.
- We built a data pipeline to analyze the status, weight, and cost of every item shipped on Mercari, and a machine learning model to suggest the best shipping options for sellers. This reduced shipping mistakes by over half.
- We also built a price scanner where you can get an estimate of the item price by pointing your phone's camera to it.
- Distributed Processing: Apache Beam/Apache Spark
- Cloud: Google Cloud(BigQuery/VertexAI/Google Dataflow/Google Dataproc, etc.)\
- Database: Google Datastore/MySQL/Google Spanner
- API: gRPC/Tensorflow Serving/FastAPI(REST)
- Container: Docker/Kubernetes
- Machine Learning: Tensorflow/Keras/Scikit-Learn, etc.
Small enough to make an impact, but established enough to provide the stability you need to be successful, Mercari is the best of both worlds. At Mercari you are encouraged to take risks. And when you do, you can do it confidently, knowing you have a team and a company that supports you.
As we grow, your career opportunities with Mercari grow. As our teams expand, your responsibilities expand. Our teams are supported with access to new tools, technologies, and learning opportunities. We will never stop growing.
- Flexibility: Work remote from anywhere in the US and receive flexible time off
- Wellbeing: Top-notch insurance plans, best-in-class new parent offerings and access to mind and body wellness apps
- Growth: As we grow, your career opportunities grow, we provide access to new tools, technologies and learning opportunities
- Comprehensive and total rewards: We provide a strong financial foundation and rewards that go beyond the paycheck
- Teamwork: We are each other's biggest fans- we celebrate from virtual coffee breaks to recognition programs
- Additional Information (Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $141,900 + equity + benefits. Information about our benefits can be found here: https://www.mercari.com/careers/ *Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired into a location in Colorado.
Mercari is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
Mercari prides itself on the diversity of its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, national origin, race, religion, marital status, veteran status, disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other class protected by applicable law.