Head of Data Engineering at Paylocity
REPORTS TO: VICE PRESIDENT, DATA SCIENCE
The Head of Data Engineering is a critical role in our Product and Tech organization. This highly visible member of the Technology Leadership Team has overall accountability for the end-to-end strategy and delivery of a specific department or vertical of Paylocity's business. She/he will lead multiple initiatives to deliver against that strategy.
This position requires a strategic leader committed to finding and delivering against our customers' unmet needs. This role will enable a culture of innovation and ownership across all of Product and Technology - ensuring the teams are entrepreneurial and self-sufficient, while still focused on a common vision.
Are you the teammate we are looking for?
Who you are:
- Proven leader who has delivered highly scalable real-time data solutions in a fast-paced agile environment
- Passionate for all things Data Engineering with experience enabling an organization through data
- Experienced in creating & leading a highly resilient, performant and scalable 24x7 solution
- Collaborative, Entrepreneurial, Innovative and Humble
- Unwavering in your desire for production stability
- Have a passion for data and a clear vision for how data can unlock solutions to meet our customer's unmet needs
- Influential leader who rallies multiple teams around the vision, and creates an atmosphere where teams are empowered to deliver
- Determined and willing to experiment, embracing constant feedback loops
- Focused on talent development by creating enabling and inclusive environments and identifying, mentoring and cultivating high potentials.
- Relentlessly curious about current market and technology trends, and influences product direction accordingly
- A superior communicator with an affinity for change management
During the first six months, you will:
- Recommend and gain the support across key stakeholders for end-to-end vision for how data will flow through targeted systems
- Develop and articulate the roadmap for the data function that clearly defined ownership and responsibility between the central data function and product teams
- Build a data model that joins together multiple disparate systems
- Pilot new tools and approaches to meet the needs of customers
- Be a sounding board for ideas and a center of excellence for all matters relating to current and future technologies
- Develop a strategy to secure long-term platform stability and world-class architecture
- Secure and establish strategies around internal vs. external technology investments
- Effectively maintain relationships with key partners
- Create a culture of accountability, quality, agility and high performance to foster the attraction, development and retention of excellent talent
- Minimum 10 years work experience with technology company and a minimum experience of 5 years+ as a people manager
- 5+ years in a leadership/management capacity around data engineering, data warehouse, data lake, data mart and data pipelines
- Experience with big data architectures and data modeling to efficiently process large volumes of data
- Experience developing large data processing pipelines
- Background in ETL and data processing, know how to transform data to meet business goals
- Expert in SQL, preferably in SQL Server
- Working experience with building and running modern data architectures in a public cloud, preferably AWS
- Extraordinary people and program management skills, with a leadership style that inspires and shows confidence
- Experience managing a software engineering team with a customer facing deliverable is preferred
- Able to effectively present information, gain feedback and respond to questions from groups of leaders, clients and customers
- Hands-on knowledge of Agile engineering practices
- Possess the business acumen and technical expertise to create a big-picture vision and has the drive and attention to detail that transforms strategy into action
- Experience working in a matrix environment where authority is shared with business and product leaders
This role can be performed from any office in the US. The pay range for this position in Colorado is $152,295 - $223,233 /yr; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. This position is eligible for an annual bonus and restricted stock unit grant based on individual performance in addition to a full range of benefits outlined here. This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via www.paylocity.com/careers.