Head of Data Engineering and Analytics at Chewy
At Chewy we aim to to become the most trusted and convenient online destination for pet parents and our partners – vets and service providers – alike. Our success is measured by the happiness of the people and pets we serve, not simply by the amount of pet supplies we deliver. That’s why we continue to think of outside-the-Chewy-box ways to delight, surprise, and thank our loyal pet lovers.
Customer service is not only the key to success in our mission, but also our competitive advantage. To maintain this advantage, we are looking to hire an analytical & customer obsessed Director, Analytics. The leader in this role will be responsible for building a world class Data & Analytics function for Chewy Customer Service (CS).
The Director of Data Engineering and Analytics must have a sufficient technical background to understand the technologies and technical issues involved with the product, to be able to anticipate and identify critical technical obstacles, and to make accurate technology decisions. The Director, DE and Analytics also must be able to manage project schedules and task details and utilize project management tools such as reports, tracking charts etc.
The role comes with lot of autonomy, independence and visibility to C level leadership. It is a senior role, requiring ability to write papers for C Level review and drive CS strategy.
What you’ll do:
- Provide strong leadership and vision for how to drive a Data and Analytics team to create changes in business partnerships, analytics, and metrics/reporting
- End to end ownership of the data engineering and business intelligence team, including gathering inputs from leadership and partner teams, roadmap planning and prioritization, promoting best practices, and mentoring and developing your team
- Leading analytics for cross-functional projects across multiple geographies working with senior business leaders on major initiatives
- Drive development of tools, reporting improvement and automation worldwide, and create new innovative and insightful reports in a timely manner
- Implement best practices around data extraction, collection, transformation and processing
- Identify key resources and provide the direction required for meeting project objectives
- Ensure appropriate management, operations & technology involvement throughout project lifecycles
- Possess the ability to lead and motivate people and encourage teamwork, an ability to communicate effectively with senior management, and a clear vision of what determines a successful solution for the customer and for the company
- Design best practices for big data processing, data modeling, and warehouse development for Chewy’s Customer Service business
What you'll need:
- 10+ years of experience in Data Engineering and Analytics field including 5+ years of successful business intelligence or analytics team management experience, including hiring, employee development, performance management, and delivering results.
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, engineering, economics or related field
- Experience with big data architectures and data modeling to efficiently process large volumes of data
- Excellent knowledge of data warehouse, Data lake principles and reporting. Expert in data engineering, building data warehouse, data mart and data pipelines
- Experience gathering business requirements, using industry standard business intelligence tools to extract data, formulate metrics, and build reports
- Understand end to end data management interactions and dependencies across complex data pipelines and data transformation and how they impact business decisions
- Experience using SQL, advance SQL, ETL, and big data technologies in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets
- Proven track record of successful communication of analytical outcomes through written communication, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Experience with various tools and technologies like Redshift, S3, ADP, Glue, EC2, Python, Oracle, Spectrum, Athena, OBIEE, Tableau etc. in building Data and Analytics platforms.
- Experience with implementing data governance/management best practices
- Experience in driving change/transformation through a larger operations focused organization
- Received a Master's degree
- Experience in setting up data organizations Experience with statistics or Machine Learning methodologies a plus.
Why Chewy Customer Service?
It's not just about us. It is also about what you get. That's why in Chewy Customer Service, you are empowered to become your best.
- YOU BELONG: Chewy is a place where you can be your authentic self. Our pet parents and partners are from everywhere--different places and different walks of life. It is what makes them unique. Likewise, Chewtopians are empowered to bring their perspectives to deliver on our mission!
- YOU CAN GROW: Our culture is for those who thrive on delivering results and becoming your best – no matter your role or location.
- YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE: You are encouraged to be curious, ask questions, bring ideas forward, and act like an owner in everything that you do.
- YOU WILL GET SUPPORT: When you join Chewy Customer Service, you will have ongoing training and development, resources, and opportunities to become your best.
- YOU WILL GET REWARDED: Chewy has you covered when it comes to competitive wages, medical & dental insurance, 401k, and happy hour. Of course, the biggest perk is the ability to work together with other smart, driven, and passionate Chewtopians who are making an impact each day.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact [email protected]