Mercari is Your Marketplace. We make it super easy to sell (or buy) almost anything. We all have things we don’t use, never used or simply outgrew. But that stuff still has value. Mercari gives you the power to simply sell it, ship it, and earn some cash for it. Fashion to toys. Sporting goods to electronics. All the brands you know and love. Our mission is simple: to make selling easier than buying. And with 50M+ downloads in the U.S. and 350k+ new listings every day, we're just getting started.
Our Machine Learning teams are focused on building delightful experiences and content recommendations for our users, enabling more personalized buying and selling experiences. This team is focused on rapidly iterating best-in-class machine learning products and features. In this role you will build and lead a team of talented engineers who will deliver the next generation of ML features. You will work closely across teams and organizations to ideate, advocate and implement new ML solutions. Your team will develop production algorithms, run experiments, and A/B test to ensure that we provide an innovative and simple to use platform.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead, develop, and grow a team of engineers using machine learning, deep learning, natural language processing to make models across recommendation, search, image recognition and so on.
- Build and deliver scalable, secure, and resilient architecture that can support the continued growth of Mercari US
- Maintain effective communication and collaboration with cross-functional partners.
- Ensure visibility of project/feature status to stakeholders.
- Partner with product management, data analytics, business operations and other engineering leaders to build and deliver the roadmap of your team.
- Provide hands-on leadership in architecture, design, planning, and the implementation of engineering projects
- Plan for long term growth and help recruit excellent engineering talent
What you’ll need:
- 3+ years of combined experience in managing software teams of 8+ engineers.
- 5+ years of software engineering skills across multiple languages
- Experience attracting and nurturing a talented group of machine learning engineers
- B.S. Computer Science degree, or equivalent professional experience
- Experience with Machine Learning software tools and libraries (e.g., Scikit-learn, TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch, etc.)
- Experience with a variety of optimization and classification problems including segmentation, recommendations, spam detection, etc.
- Experience developing complex software systems scaling to millions of users with production-quality deployment, monitoring, and reliability
- The willingness to learn and really get to know our systems, infrastructure, and process
- A solid understanding of system architecture at scale
- Hands-on knowledge with Agile methodologies
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Enjoy coaching your team and watching them grow in their skills and careers
- Ability to work in a geographically dispersed team
- Experience designing, developing, and managing microservices with Docker and Kubernetes or similar systems
- Experience with cloud- native architectures (e.g., within AWS, GCP, Microsoft Azure)
- Excellent knowledge of search engines and distributed systems
- Experience tuning relevance and ranking of search results
- Demonstrated ability to write code with appropriate tests
Small enough to make an impact, but established enough to provide the stability you need to be successful, Mercari is the best of both worlds. At Mercari you are encouraged to take risks. And when you do, you can do it confidently, knowing you have a team and a company that supports you.
As we grow, your career opportunities with Mercari grow. As our teams expand, your responsibilities expand. Our teams are supported with access to new tools, technologies, and learning opportunities. We will never stop growing.
- Flexibility: Work remote from anywhere in the US and receive flexible time off
- Wellbeing: Top-notch insurance plans, best-in-class new parent offerings and access to mind and body wellness apps
- Growth: As we grow, your career opportunities grow, we provide access to new tools, technologies and learning opportunities
- Comprehensive and total rewards: We provide a strong financial foundation and rewards that go beyond the paycheck
- Teamwork: We are each other's biggest fans- we celebrate from virtual coffee breaks to recognition programs
- Additional Information (Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $141,900 + equity + benefits. Information about our benefits can be found here: https://www.mercari.com/careers/ *Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired into a location in Colorado.
Mercari is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
Mercari prides itself on the diversity of its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, national origin, race, religion, marital status, veteran status, disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other class protected by applicable law.