Engineering Manager II at Uber
About the Role
The Insurance Engineering team builds and maintains critical services and tools for Uber's Insurance needs. The team is responsible for building tech used to manage billions of dollars of insurance spend every year. We focus on building features within the app for easy crash reporting and claim submission, automating and optimizing insurance claims processing flows. We are a high impact team that is critical for Uber's day to day operations. We have a pipeline of innovative products and tech that will take us to the next level and be one of the leaders in the InsureTech space.
What You'll Do
We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to drive and shape the technical roadmap & delivery of our next generation Insurance products that impact millions of users on a daily basis. You will partner with a wide range of stakeholders from product, data science, business, and legal to own and evolve the roadmap and technical strategy to build game changing tech for various Uber teams that support insurance needs. This is a highly critical and visible role that has a tangible impact on both internal user and external customer experience, as well as the company's bottomline.
- 5+ years of experience developing software as an individual contributor engineer.
- Outstanding technical skills in backend engineering: Uber managers can lead from the front when the situation calls for it.
- 3+ years for frontline managing a diverse set of candidates (full-stack, backend, mobile, machine learning etc) across various technologies.
- Great management and team development skills: ability to set roadmap and goals for a team and every one of its members, delegate intelligently, mentor engineers, deliver frequent and transparent feedback, help team members grow in their careers and deliver results
- Management experience: You have 5+ years of management experience in software engineering where you have demonstrated capability to successfully recruit, retain and grow top talent engineers
- Engineering excellence. You have significant hands-on engineering experience in a variety of contexts, during which you've built scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant systems, and full stack products.
- Bias towards action. You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgement about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way -- and you're comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
- Superior teaching skills. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you help other engineers make sound architectural decisions, improve their code craftsman skills, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Passion and energy. You feel ownership over everything you ship. You bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
- Hiring prowess. You're a strong interviewer who constantly raises the bar for excellence. You believe that what seems amazing one day becomes the norm the next day, and that each new hire should significantly improve the team.
- Team player mindset. You foster a culture of collaboration and support. You help teams grow by relying on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement. You inspire and mentor others on the team so that those around you can also learn and grow.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.