Engineering Manager, Data Operations at Chipper Cash (Remote)
Chipper Cash is looking for a Data Operations Manager to join us as we continue our amazing growth trajectory.
Chipper is more than just a mobile wallet, it’s how people send money home to their grandparents for medicine, how parents send money to their children for school books, it’s how the African continent gets connected to the economy worldwide. Our products and business are growing rapidly and we need innovative thinkers and gritty explorers to help us pave the way in exciting areas like cryptocurrency, cross-border transactions, and expanding opportunities for generational wealth through access to the stock market.Your Mission
Chipper Cash's business relies on a solid data foundation – and the Data Operations team is the is critical to the growth and innovation of that foundation as Chipper Cash scales. The data operations manager will grow and develop the data operations team to meet the growth of the company, our user-base, and our need for analytics.What You'll Be Doing
- Manage a distributed team of between 6 and 8 data infrastructure engineers and DBA's
- Collaborate closely with your cross-functional peers to deliver reliable and high quality data pipelines, and monitor and grow our data infrastructure footprint in AWS
- Work alongside stakeholders to define requirements, communicate priority and trade-offs, and manage the team’s backlog with a commitment to responsible data security and data engineering
- Develop your direct reports through coaching, mentoring and performance management
- Maintain our core values and ensure that decisions and processes are aligned with our culture and core beliefs. This includes fostering a team culture that is both diverse and inclusive
- Maintain high standards for operational excellence and data integrity through quality processes and automation
- You've managed data infrastructure teams on prem and/or in the cloud, and understand the complexities and trade-offs between real-time data and batch data pipelines
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility. You won't be micromanaged but you also will not be left on an island alone with no direction. We strive for supportive autonomy here to set you up for success.
- You have a technical background in data engineering and at least two years of management experience
- You’re able to think strategically and make hard decisions and tradeoffs
- You work well cross-functionally and have experience collaborating with engineering and business leaders and cross-functional team members to strategize, align and execute on goals
- You have great communication skills, written and verbal with a variety of audiences
About Our Tech Stack
- Fullstack Typescript
- Fully automated CI/CD using Semaphore and Github Unit testing with Jest/Mocha.
- React Native - Android / iOS application
- Monitoring with BugSnag & Amplitude
- Global state management with Redux
- Chipper UI design system powered by: Styled Components & StoryBook
- Node.js - service-based architecture
- PostgreSQL application databases
- RabbitMQ for inter-server communication
- Server hosting on Heroku and Google Cloud Platform Monitoring with Datadog & Logz.io
- Snowflake for data warehousing and analysis
- Python for in-depth data analysis, transformation, and reporting
At Chipper Cash we prioritize people. Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Chipper Cash and the country where you work. We offer competitive salary and benefits. US-based employees gain access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, unlimited PTO that you’ll actually be encouraged to take, equity in the company, outstanding health and wellness benefits such as our new Chipper Care Policy, generous parental leave, and a welcoming and inclusive culture that embraces the open-minded traveler with a love for humanity and all our differences, and much more.
At Chipper we know some groups of applicants will only apply if they check every box on a job opening, but we encourage you not to say no for us. If you meet 80% of the requirements, apply apply apply! We would love to speak to you.