Distinguished Data Engineer (Remote- Eligible)
At Capital One, we believe in the values of excellence and doing the right thing. We are a technology-oriented company delivering financial products to market through modern technology and constant innovation at a massive scale.
Distinguished Engineers are...
- Deep technical experts and thought leaders that help accelerate adoption of the very best engineering practices, while maintaining knowledge on industry innovations, trends and practices
- Visionaries, collaborating on Capital One's toughest issues, to deliver on business needs that directly impact the lives of our customers and associates
- Role models and mentors, helping to coach and strengthen the technical expertise and know-how of our engineering and product community
- Evangelists, both internally and externally, helping to elevate the Distinguished Engineering community and establish themselves as a go-to resource on given technologies and technology-enabled capabilities
- Leaders who gain the trust and confidence of those around them, from hands on engineers to executives
Whether a member of our engineering or architecture teams, Distinguished Engineers are individual contributors expected to solve problems in a fast-paced, collaborative, and iterative delivery environment. In order to meet these demands, candidates should be influential engineering leaders with deep technology expertise, and a collaborative style that brings others into the decision-making process. Distinguished Engineers will significantly impact the Tech agenda within their organization and devise clear roadmaps to deliver next generation technology solutions across organizational boundaries.
This Distinguished Engineer will be a hands-on individual contributor and Data Architect within our Retail and Direct Technology organization - supporting Capital One Bank. They will be responsible for tackling our hardest problems, establishing patterns, collaborating across teams and lines of business, and bringing SME-level knowledge around Data Engineering and Architecture. This individual will need to see end to end across our banking organization and 'put all the pieces' of our data ecosystem together to create modern, real-time, data solutions.
- Innovative practices to bring data from producer to consumer and solving our most critical business problems in batch and real-time, making our most important customer decisions and driving our most critical data processes
- Demonstrates the highest level of hands on development and big picture architecture; able to mentor engineers and educate executives
- Design and develop cutting-edge solutions, using existing and emerging technology platforms
- Leverage sound judgment and problem solving to tackle some of Capital One's most critical problems and connect the dots to broader implications of the work
- Provide technical vision, technical solutions and directions to build complex and sustainable data ecosystem / platform
- Lead, manage and grow our data ingestion, data refinement and data consumption teams as an individual contributor/SME
- Design, develop, deploy and manage a highly reliable and scalable data pipeline
- Build/Modernize our data refinement/ETL processes
- Oversee the implementation of solutions for tracking data quality, data consistency and lineage.
- Embrace and incubate emerging technology and open source products across all platforms
- Collaborate with enterprise teams on developing and adhering to the company standards in terms of validation rules, nomenclature, design and deployments.
- Develop, demonstrate, and advocate data strategy at all levels from new engineers to senior executives
- Collaborate with internal teams to find areas of opportunities for automation and machine learning.
- Streamline the entire data ecosystem from end to end to ensure the most efficient , standard, privacy compliant processes possible.
- Establish best practices for data access that consider real-time and batch, security practices, and performance
- Show expertise for data at all levels: low-latency, relational, and unstructured data stores; analytical and ata lakes; data streaming (consumption/production), data in-transit
- Lead the way in creating next-generation talent for Tech, mentoring internal talent and actively recruiting external talent to bolster Capital One's Tech talent
- Build awareness, increase knowledge and drive adoption of modern technologies and architecture patterns, sharing customer and engineering benefits to gain buy-in (working closely with leaders, other SMEs, and engineers)
- Strike the right balance between lending expertise and providing an inclusive environment where others' ideas can be heard and championed; leverage expertise to grow skills in the broader Capital One team (balance being a great coach and listener)
- Promote a culture of engineering excellence and being well-managed, using opportunities to reuse and innersource solutions where possible (always consider resiliency and impact; major focus on customer experience)
- Effectively communicate with and influence key stakeholders across the Financial Services and Enterprise, at all levels of the organization
- Operate as a trusted advisor for a specific technology, platform or capability domain, helping to shape use cases and implementation in an integrated manner
Capital One is open to hiring a Remote Employee for this opportunity.
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least 7 years of Data Architecture and Data Modeling experience
- At least 5 years of experience in database management and data warehousing
- At least 3 years of experience providing solution design
- Masters' Degree
- 5+ years of experience developing in Python, Java, or Scala
- 8+ years experience architecting and delivering software systems or platforms
- 8+ years of data governance, data access, data lineage, data monitoring, and security controls experience
- 3+ years of experience with AWS including EMR, AWS Glue etc.
- 3+ years experience working with containers such as Docker and Kubernetes
- 3+ years of experience working with Big Data
- 3+ years in-depth experience with the Hadoop stack (MapReduce, Pig, Hive, Hbase )
- 2+ years of experience developing in Spark or Flink
- 2+ years of experience developing enterprise Data models
- 2+ years of experience bringing real-time decision use cases to production
- 2+ years experience working with Cloud technologies
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
The minimum and maximum full-time annual salaries for this role are listed below, by location. Please note that this salary information is solely for candidates hired to perform work within one of these locations, and refers to the amount Capital One is willing to pay at the time of this posting. Salaries for part-time roles will be prorated based upon the agreed upon number of hours to be regularly worked.
Location is New York City
- $260,592 and $307,440 for Distinguished Data Engineer
Location is Colorado
- $220,854 and $260,558 for Distinguished Data Engineer
Candidates hired to work in other locations will be subject to the pay range associated with that location, and the actual annualized salary amount offered to any candidate at the time of hire will be reflected solely in the candidate's offer letter.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at [email protected] . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to [email protected]
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).