We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we’ve been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it’s more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
Instacart is looking to hire an accomplished Director of Data Science with experience leading world-class teams at a high-growth company. In this position, you will partner with senior product and engineering leadership to grow and drive Instacart’s Enterprise products. The Enterprise team provides a suite of white-label e-commerce solutions and fulfillment technologies to many of North America’s leading Grocery retailers (Costco, Loblaw, Wegmans, etc.).
As the Director of Data Science for Instacart Enterprise, you will hire and build the data science team that oversees all data, analytics, experimentations and insights across the suite of Enterprise ecommerce platforms. You will essentially take the Enterprise Data Science team 0-1 over the next 12 months. You will define experimentation and analysis frameworks to help deepen our understanding of customers journeys. You will identify product opportunities and drive efforts to determine and implement key metrics, and the levers to influence them. You will be fostering a data-first approach to help our Enterprise team operate effectively, and will play a significant role in helping us grow our Enterprise business over the next 2-3 years. You will be a trusted partner to Directors and VPs of Product and Engineering. We’re looking for an experienced leader who can hit the ground running and influence decision-making across the organization.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Build and grow a high-performing team of data scientists
- Oversee the design of rigorous experiments and interpret results to draw detailed and actionable conclusions
- Lead the development of statistical models to extract trends, measure results, and predict future performance of our product
- Enable objective decision making across the company by democratizing data through dashboards and other analytical tools
- Use expertise in causal inference, machine learning, complex systems modeling, behavioral decision theory etc. to shape the future of Enterprise products at Instacart
- Present findings in a compelling way to influence Instacart’s Enterprise leadership and product decision making
- 12+ years experience working in a quantitative role at a product company or a research organization
- 7+ years of experience managing a team of data scientists, economists or product analysts
- Ability to translate business needs into analytical frameworks & superior verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to influence and collaborate in cross-functional capacity with leaders in engineering, product, finance, etc
- Eagerness to learn, flexibility to pivot when needed, savviness to navigate and thrive in a dynamic environment, and a growth mindset needed to build a successful team and company
- Experience in building and maturing Data Science teams and infrastructure in a startup environment
- Graduate degree in Statistics, Analytics, Economics, or a related field
- Experience working in the ecommerce, retail, or CPG industries
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.