ezCater is the world’s largest online marketplace for catering – a $60+ billion market just in the U.S. Businesspeople use us to find and order great food for meetings and events; restaurants and caterers use us to grow their catering business. We’re backed by Insight Partners, Iconiq Capital, Wellington, Lightspeed, and GIC, and in early 2019 were valued at $1.25 billion. COVID slammed us, but we responded by finding new customer segments and seizing the rare opportunity COVID offered: when in life does a very successful operation get a do-over? Come help us power Food For Work even better than we did it the first time.
ezCater values technology, and particularly data, as a differentiator and a key component of our success. It powers everything we do. We push ourselves every day to better the codebase, improve performance, and deliver an amazing customer experience. Check out this CBS Boston article for a glimpse into our culture.
We’re looking for an energetic leader, reporting directly to the CTO, to drive effective adoption for our data services and lead our data compliance efforts as we pursue an IPO.
This new Director of Data position will lead the engineering technology team that is responsible for building data products that support reporting, analytics, and machine learning. The Data Technology team owns data pipelines, the data lake and data marts, and data architecture at ezCater. Our ideal candidate will have proven, hands-on experience leading a team of data engineers, building out a team with mature processes and operations, and working with product managers to create a well-defined vision and roadmap.
What You'll Do:
- Drive the hiring and expansion of an already impressive team
- Partner with other technology leaders and our Head of Security to execute on our IPO readiness program.
- Coach the Data Engineering Manager to support the day-to-day operations of the data engineering team, including refining and prioritizing the backlog, and streamlining workflows and processes
- Work with the team to create data pipelines, transformations, tables, buckets, schedules, DAGs, and all the other components of a mature, modern data ecosystem
- Work with stakeholders and product management to define and prioritize the data engineering roadmap
- Drive projects and report on them to stakeholders across ezCater, relating them to our corporate objectives
- Improve performance, efficiency, and quality wherever you can
- Treat data quality and data architecture as first class deliverables
- Move a lot of data and inspire your team to do the same
What You'll Have:
- Hands-on software development experience in a professional setting focused on data engineering and building robust data pipelines to support batch and near-real-time data consumers
- Solid experience in Python, SQL, ETL and orchestration tools like dbt and Airflow, and especially modern cloud data warehouse platforms such as Snowflake or Redshift
- Experience in navigating and utilizing services in a cloud platform, preferably AWS
- 5+ years solid experience with SQL, data modeling, and data architecture for large-scale projects in an enterprise environment
- Experience with data security and compliance requirements, ideally with IPO experience
- Comfortable managing a roadmap and reporting to stakeholders in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- 5-7 years of solid people management experience, including hiring and helping others grow their careers
- An interest in partnering with the broader technology leadership team to drive the overall improvement of our Engineering function
- A disposition that is friendly, flexible and pragmatic, and the desire to learn something new every day and continue to grow as a leader
Salary Range: $190,000 - $241,000
What you’ll get from us:
You’ll get a terrifically compelling opportunity, in an environment of radical transparency, open access to all the data, and collaborative colleagues at every level of our organization. You’ll also get sane working hours and great flexibility around work/life balance.
Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and you’ll get all this: Market salary, stock options that you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K with ezCater match, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, remote-hybrid work from our awesome Boston or Denver offices OR your home OR a mixture of both home and office (you choose!), a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies) once we get back to our offices, and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.