Director, Data Platforms at Reddit
Our mission is to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world. Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. With more than 50 million people visiting 100,000+ communities daily, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. From pets to parenting, skincare to stocks, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
“The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. This community of users generates 65B analytics events per day, each of which is ingested by the Data Platform team into a data warehouse that sees 55,000+ daily queries.
As the Director of Data Platform, you will formulate, socialize, and execute on the platforms and tooling that drive how Reddit transforms our amazing data into incredible data-powered products and into business-defining, actionable insights. You will enable your teams to push our products to the next level and dictate how data is accessed and consumed across the company. Through this, you will be a key individual in setting the data culture for Reddit.
How You’ll Have Impact:
Google, Microsoft, Facebook, and OpenAI have all trained their premier text-models using Reddit data because we have one of the single most important corpora of conversational data in the world. We are the 6th most trafficked site on the internet and as such generate an enormous volume of content and activity on a daily basis. The decisions your team drives will influence the experience of hundreds of millions of users around the world.
Reporting to the VP of Data, your immediate peers are the leads of Data Science, Machine Learning, and Search. You will partner with a multitude of stakeholders to understand Reddit’s services across all of our product lines from consumer products, to safety products, to ads. Through this you will determine a path and deliver technology that determines the role data plays with each service, with a focus on shepherding the quality, reliability, and accessibility of data to all partners and powering a range of services from production-facing through to BI applications.
You will be accountable for building, growing, and mentoring a world-class team of engineers to help Reddit reach its goal of bringing community and belonging to everyone.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop, drive, and execute the long term vision and strategy for our data collection, processing, access, and data quality efforts as well as our org-wide BI Platforms and Experiment Platform.
- Lead a global org to deliver results for Reddit during a critical period of our maturation. Provide mentorship and growth opportunities for team members to evolve in their roles.
- Ensure development of consistent high quality data products and ensure the adoption of these products throughout the organization
- Standardize data quality measurements by establishing metrics, building tools and processes.
- Work with external vendors and aid build vs buy decisions
- Work closely with data privacy and data security teams at Reddit to help guide data privacy policies and compliance with data protection regulations.
Who You Might Be:
- 6+ years of experience building and leading data teams.
- 8+ years of experience building clean, maintainable, and well-tested code.
- Effective communicator who can translate complex technical concepts into simple ideas depending on the audience.
- Experience with big data & streaming data approaches in large data scale organizations
- Preferred experience and comfort with data streaming, monitoring, and aggregation technologies (e.g. BigQuery, AWS, Kubernetes, Airflow, etc...)
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected].