Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
Mailchimp’s Engineering team is responsible for the code and infrastructure that makes that possible. Database Engineering team members work closely with product domain representatives and other teams such as SRE, Data Services, Application Performance, Networking, and Infrastructure Operations to provide the data infrastructure needed to move the company and our products forward. We take a pragmatic and practical approach to our stack; we use tried and true components and build our own processes on top of well understood building blocks. We are growing fast and need people who can help advance our infrastructure to take care of the needs of today and tomorrow.
We are seeking someone to be a part of the Database Engineering team with a focus on maintaining, growing, and improving our database infrastructure and instrumentation. You will have experience working in a dynamic environment where you are responsible for multiple database technologies (primarily MySQL, Spanner, and CloudSQL) across thousands of database instances and related tooling. You should enjoy troubleshooting production issues as well as planning the future of our infrastructure. You should not be afraid to programmatically tackle problems or to make pragmatic choices when implementing new engineering solutions. Finally, you will be instrumental in helping grow the knowledge of your team members.
What you’ll do here:
- Facilitate the use of database infrastructure and standards throughout the company
- Contribute to the development of existing services and tooling and ensure we have the proper observability, instrumentation and alerting.
- Share daily production and incident response responsibilities and overnight on-call with the team.
- Participate and facilitate learning opportunities for other team members.
- Helps the team make sound technical choices in aggregate, and is allocating resources effectively while acting as a key communicator and facilitator of the team’s work.
We would love to hear from you if you have:
- Extensive experience with cloud services, databases, and various datastores e.g. Spanner, CloudSQL, and/or MySQL.
- Demonstrated experience with data modeling, extract/transform/load operations, data warehousing, transaction processing.
- Experience writing tools and services (using PHP, Golang, Python or Bash).
- Demonstrated experience making pragmatic technical choices and heading up projects.
- Deep understanding of clustering, sharding, replication and high availability.
At Mailchimp, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We don’t just accept differences, we celebrate them, support them, and hire peeps from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our company stronger. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience aligns with what we’re looking for (even if you don’t check every single box), please consider applying!
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is an all-in-one marketing platform for growing businesses. Mailchimp empowers millions of customers around the world to start and grow their businesses with world-class marketing technology, award-winning customer support, and inspiring content. Millions of businesses and individuals—from community organizations to Fortune 100 companies—trust Mailchimp to help them connect with their audience with the right message, at the right time, in the right place.
Founded in 2001 and based in Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, London, and Santa Monica, Mailchimp has 1,200+ employees. Through Intuit, we offer employees competitive compensation, best in class perks and benefits. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed. Find Mailchimp on social.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law. Mailchimp also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories, and complies with all applicable state and federal laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions.