Data Services Director at Spanx (Remote)
SPANX isn’t your average company… we revolutionized an industry with just $5,000 in savings and zero outside funding. Our founder, Sara Blakely, was named one of TIME Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in the world. We are in the fashion and retail industry, but we don’t obsess trends, rules or traditional ways of doing things. Rather, we invent solutions and hold several patents. We are focused on reinventing wardrobe basics that have earned cult-followings from customers around the world, earning Spanx shout-outs from the world’s most famous women. We are a high-growth, digital company with an iconic brand that earned its reputation for over 20 years by delivering amazing products and staying true to our greater mission of supporting and elevating women. We don’t believe “pain is beauty” and we don’t believe “business is war.” We run our business with kindness, empathy, intuition, creativity, integrity… and fun. We don’t believe you have to act serious to be taken seriously. We dream big, think forward and give back. We challenge the status quo, aim high and celebrate our “oops” moments. We test and learn, and we aren’t afraid of failure. We think like entrepreneurs in everything we do, and we look for people who are self-starters, kind, creative and out-of-the box-thinkers. If this sounds like you, join us! And help us make the world a better place... one butt at a time.Job Description
About the role
Spanx is looking for a Data Services Director to help drive the execution of data strategy and analytic data processing in service of performance reporting, ad hoc analysis, data science and ML. The role will play a significant part as we migrate from our on-premises data warehouse towards the cloud.
We are moving from Microsoft on-prem tech stack to a modern cloud stack (Fivetran-dbt-Snowflake-Tableau). We are searching for a leader who understands the ELT paradigm, strong data modeling skills and one who can help us accelerate the move while providing support for existing workloads on the current data infrastructure.
This role can be based in our Atlanta headquarters or work remotely, and reports into our VP of BI and Analytics.
You’ll love it because you will
Development and delivery of new data products (business reporting, analytics and ML)
- Lead the project intake and prioritization of critical new data initiatives
- Lead and maintain the design and architecture of new data integrations in the cloud and provide oversight
- Develop robust and extensible data models for reporting and analytics
- Partner with business and IT stakeholders to identify, evaluate, and securely acquire and integrate new data sources that drive analytics and insights
Service and Maintenance of data products
- Assess and execute on opportunities to improve existing data architecture by creating scalable alternative solutions
- Define and manage SLAs for all data delivery and data quality
- Support the maintenance of current on-prem data warehouse and execute enhancements projects balancing importance vs long-term roadmap
- Define the processes needed to achieve operational excellence in all areas, including data systems reliability, data quality and cost efficiency
- Document the data architecture and environment to maintain a current and accurate view of the larger data landscape
Data Management, Security and Compliance to standards
- Stay current and be the primary advocate of the latest data modelling methodologies and data processing best practices for the cloud, such as functional data engineering
- Develop data management best practices around security and compliance
Relationship, Leadership and Team Development
- Become a trusted partner for business stakeholders and analytical leads
- Establish and maintain vendor relationships as it pertains to data delivery and management
- Hire, mentor and develop team members in all aspects of data engineering, modeling, and data management best practices
- Minimum 3 years leading a team of technical staff at multiple levels
- Minimum 7 years of experience in ELT/ETL, data warehousing and data modeling experience
- 4+ years in modern data architecture for reporting, analytics, and data science applications
- Deep understanding of modern data processing patterns and ELT pipeline development and an understanding of Data Ops CI/CD best practices
- Deep knowledge of pros and cons of various data modeling techniques and trade-offs
- Informed opinions on what, how, and where data should be collected and how it should be processed and stored for faster and reliable analytical workloads
- Solid understanding of cloud security and thought leadership around user access control for internal and external users
- Experience building and managing project plans and on-time delivery
· Expert SQL Knowledge and familiarity with Python.
- Familiarity using the following (or equivalent) tech stack: Snowflake, Fivetran, dbt, Dagster and data testing frameworks (e.g., Great Expectations, SODA SQL)
- Knowledge of consumer privacy compliance (CCPA/GDPR) is a plus
- BA/BS in Computer Science, MIS, or another technical field
- Familiarity with streaming data architectures
- Experience with data provisioning for machine learning applications
- Experience working with Tableau or similar modern BI tools
- Experience in e-commerce or retail highly preferred
In 2000, Sara Blakely had a party to go to, a pair of white pants and a struggle to find the right undergarments. So, she cut the feet out of her control-top pantyhose, creating a smooth canvas to wear under her clothes. Through sheer tenacity and a strong belief in herself, she revitalized the hosiery industry and created a new category. Since her original invention of footless pantyhose, SPANX has created thousands of other products – all centered around creating wardrobe solutions and empowering customers to look and feel their best. We dream big, think forward and give back. We challenge the status quo and aim high. We hustle hard, but we never take ourselves too seriously… because where’s the fun in that?
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.