We created Upside to help communities thrive! Our retail technology uses the sophistication of online retail—profit measurement, attribution, and incrementality—to provide users with more value on their everyday purchases and brick and mortar businesses with new, profitable customers. We’ve helped millions of users earn 2 to 3 times more cash back than any other product, and tens of thousands of brick and mortar businesses earn measurable profit. Billions of dollars in commerce run through the Upside platform every year, and that value goes directly back to our local retailers, the consumers they serve, and towards important sustainability initiatives. Our mission, values, and commitment to inclusivity guide our team of more than 300 people worldwide, and the quality of our culture is reflected in the impact we’ve had on communities nationwide. You’ll join a Team whose experience hails from places such as Google, Uber, Amazon, Instacart, Capital One, and MasterCard with proven startup executives and venture capitalists.
Upside was named #2 on Deloitte's 2021 list of Fastest Growing 500 Tech Companies and #308 in Inc.’s America’s fastest growing private companies of 2022. Upside’s Series D funding was raised in March 2022 and led by General Catalyst at a $1.5 billion valuation. Other investors include Bessemer Ventures and Formation8.
Meet Upside Data Science Team:
The Data Team is a close-knit group who are the center of excellence for advanced decision support and developing and deploying machine learning models that drive our core product! We believe in a data-driven approach to decision-making and an encouraging culture that emphasizes learning from our mistakes. We debate and deliberate on the best ideas to improve our processes, and strive for an inclusive atmosphere that nurtures the psychological wellness of all of our teammates. We operate as player-coaches, engaging in analysis and R&D, as well as leveling up data literacy with each business unit with whom we partner.
Our technology stack:
- Python / Jupyter / Sagemaker
- Snowflake data warehouse on AWS, S3, and Athena
- Looker for visualization and exploration
- Segment / Optimizely for events and A/B testing
- Jenkins / Github / Terraform
About the job:
As a Data Scientist, your impact will reach across the Finance, Marketing, Operations, Product, Engineering, and Sales teams as you design experiments, develop prediction models, and perform causal analysis to inform strategy. As an early member of a growing team, you'll be able to have an impact on the direction and evolution of the data practice and the company as a whole.
What you’ll do:
- Optimize the algorithms that personalize the discounts surfaced in our product, as well as use a wide array of predictive modeling and unsupervised learning techniques to solve business problems such as predicting user retention and lifetime value, detecting fraud, optimizing marketing spend, and recommending merchants to users
- Collaborate with various partners across the company to understand data and modeling needs, design experiments, perform statistical analysis, and guide business decisions through data-centric presentations.
- Establish and test hypotheses in a rigorous way; provide guidance on experimental design, conduct power analyses, run A/B and multivariate tests and then analyze their outcomes.
- Define KPIs, work with engineering to instrument our systems and define data requirements, and collaborate with the data engineering team to build data pipelines and infrastructure.
- Communicate technical and quantitative concepts to non-technical audiences, including tying recommendations to business goals and outcomes.
What you need:
- At least 3 years of work experience in predictive analytics, data science, Machine Learning, or similar role.
- A Ph.D. or Master’s degree in a quantitative field.
- Experience with experimental design, advanced statistics, and predictive modeling; familiarity with methods such as forecasting, time series analysis, reinforcement learning, and anomaly detection a plus.
- Experience in SQL, as well as Python, R, or a similar language; experience with visualization tools and big data platforms and technologies a plus.
- An ability to simplify complex problems, synthesize data, and create compelling narratives to inform decision making.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, along with strong attention to detail and quality.
The fine print:
- Notice to recruiters and placement agencies: This is an in-house search with a dedicated recruiter. Please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Upside. Upside is not liable for, and will not pay, placement fees for candidates submitted by any party or agency other than its approved recruitment partners.
At Upside, we believe that diversity drives innovation. Our differences are what makes us stronger. We‘re passionate about building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here, come join us!#LI-NE1