Data Scientist - Research and Economics, Special Projects at Uber
Our policy data scientists support our policy issue experts around the world, equipping them with data to support our public policy positions. The Economics team produces in-house research and collaborates with world-leading academics to understand our marketplace and improve our product.
About the Role
We are looking for an economics-minded data scientist to drive top cross-functional priorities for the company. In this role, you would be part of the Policy, Research and Economics team, which is led by the Chief Economist. Our team conducts research and analysis that forms the foundation for business decisions and our policy positions - taking into account competitive, legal, operational, and product considerations and helping leadership weigh each of these when in opposition. We are also responsible for addressing the thorny policy and business challenges impacting Uber globally.
As a data scientist on this team, you would be encouraged to bring analytical and empirical rigor to bear on important questions relating to economics, labor, and work. We are seeking individuals with a strong background in economics or other quantitative social sciences, with an ability to think critically about a research question and design and implement data analysis and data pipelines in SQL/R/Python.
What You'll Do
- Ensure alignment between policy research and business strategy, building on a rich understanding of - and relationships across - policy, product, legal, data science, and operations
- Conduct careful statistical and econometric analysis in support of our policy priorities, collaborating with international teams to develop research that speaks to their local contexts
- Present economic reasoning and analytical results to internal audiences (e.g., our leadership team) and external audiences (e.g., policy partners)
- Experience in data science, with a demonstrable ability to learn and/or use tools such as SQL, Python, and R to work efficiently at scale
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally and communicate complex topics to audiences with different backgrounds
- A track record of working independently and conducting research with minimal oversight
- A bachelor's degree in economics, statistics, math, computer science, or another quantitative field; candidates with a relevant PhD and/or extensive experience will be evaluated (and compensated) commensurate with their education and experience
- Experience in policy research, particularly background in developing and bringing quantitative evidence to bear on public policy and legal strategies
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to develop and maintain collaborative and productive research relationships with other teams around the company
- Passion for Uber!
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.