Data Scientist, NGS Analysis at Recursion (Salt Lake City, UT)
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
When combined with the right algorithms, data can do amazing things: it can encourage strangers to buy something or to click an ad, it can suggest a video or what word might want to use next. Those problems are clearly challenging and interesting, but why not use data science to tackle problems that have plagued humanity for generations: to revolutionize how we recognize and treat disease to directly improve lives and reduce suffering?
Wouldn't that be a career you could be proud of?
As a data scientist at Recursion, you can make an even greater impact on human health and impact more lives than physicians treating one patient at a time. Data scientists at Recursion do science: from designing well-controlled experiments to building models and interpreting results, your skill and expertise can help us infer new compounds and treatments for diseases impacting people around the world.
Beyond the obvious impact you could make, Recursion is designed for data scientists. You will be a part of a team of 30+ data scientists managing 13 petabytes of data, all generated internally and to our specifications’ specifications in an automated lab mere feet from where you work. Beyond scale, the secret sauce is that the data lives as a relatable dataset, fit-for-purpose directly answering complex experimental research questions.
You’ll be joining Recursion at an interesting time, both for the company and for the world. The global pandemic has reinforced in everyone’s mind not only the importance of therapeutics, but also the critical value that accelerating every phase of drug discovery can provide. For most, the notion that “patients can’t wait” is abstract; COVID-19 has made this concept all too real for millions, even billions, worldwide. Every week, you’ll work hand-in-glove with our science teams, turning +1.5 million weekly automated experiments into a map of human biology.
It is an audacious goal, but it isn’t a dream or science fiction. It’s something we’re already doing.
The Impact You’ll Make
With treatments for hundreds of diseases in our sights, we’ve built a data science team with domain expertise in computer science, bioinformatics, physics, biology, mathematics, applied statistics, and more. We work side-by-side with biologists, automation scientists, chemists, software engineers, and many others; together, we develop the tools and methods to turn our experimental data into treatments for pathologies that affect the lives of countless individuals.
In this role, you will be a computational and analytical expert who develops scalable solutions that impact our drug discovery pipeline.
- Strategize in collaboration with biologists, engineers, and data/ML scientists on the next steps for industrializing various stages of the drug discovery process.
- Explore novel metrics, analyses, or models to answer unresolved questions about our data generation processes or downstream applications.
- Deliver scalable software tools for the evaluation and communication of data generated by Recursion’s high-dimensional, high-throughput assay platform.
The Team You’ll Join
You will be joining a fast-growing, cross-functional team with expertise in biology, automation engineering, data science, software engineering, and product development. Your broad area of focus will be multi-modal dataset analysis: developing analyses and building solutions that successfully integrate image and -omics datasets and communicate actionable results to the data science and biology teams. You can expect to be challenged with new scientific domains, high expectations for analytical software development, unresolved questions about analytical methods and applications, and ambitious goals to industrialize various aspects of the drug discovery process. A bold, collaborative, growth-oriented, and team-first mindset will be critical to the success of both individuals and teams in this exceptionally challenging and exciting industry.
The Experience You’ll Need
- A firm grasp of the fundamentals of probability, statistics, and machine learning.
- High fluency with the Python data stack (numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, etc).
- Experience with collaborative software development and peer code review, including version control tools like git.
- Experience developing, releasing, and maintaining software in a continuous-use production environment.
- A track record of outstanding past projects, product development, publications, or presentations.
- Preferred: experience analyzing next-generation sequencing (NGS) datasets
- Professional: 2+ years in industry setting on a data science team, or PhD in a scientific field applying ML methods to large data sets, or equivalent experience in the application of ML and analytical tools in postdoctoral work.
- Senior: 2+ years postdoctoral experience in industry or academia on directly relevant subjects, and/or experience as a technical lead driving execution in these areas.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy as a Full-Time Employee at Recursion:
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option, restricted stock unit (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) programs
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
Recursion requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their first date of employment.
More About Us
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.