Data Science Manager - Safety and Insurance at Uber
The Safety and Insurance Data Science and Analytics team specializes in rare events. The team works closely with stakeholders across Product, Engineering, Operations, Marketing, and Legal to build new product features, implement machine learning algorithms, and optimize safety policies to help reduce safety incidents and make safer for riders, driver, eaters, restaurants, and all people who use Uber's platform.
About the Role
As a Data Science Manager in the Safety and Insurance team, you will be leading a hardworking team of data scientists and data analysts to support personal safety initiatives to make rare safety events even rarer. The role will partner closely with Safety and Insurance product management, operations, engineering, and regional teams to conduct deep analysis, design and monitor experiments, and develop machine learning models to make our platform as safe as possible for all users. You will play an influential role in helping drive critical product and policy decisions.
What You'll Do
- Build and develop a robust analytics team that includes data scientists and data analysts
- Develop and lead statistical and machine learning efforts including modeling, experimentation, signal processing, time series analysis, geospatial analysis, natural language processing, and more
- Collaborate cross-functionally across technical and non-technical partners to identify and improve safety-related processes
- Present findings to business leaders to inform decisions
- Seek and tackle ambiguous, meaningful business problems using data-driven approaches
- Manage partners including senior management and multi-functional teams
- Anticipate the analytic needs of stakeholders and work with business partners to surface the appropriate information
- Perform deep-dive analysis to discover root causes for safety issues and changes in trends
- Ph.D., MS or Bachelors degree in, Statistics, Economics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, Computer Science or other quantitative field
- 5+ years of industry experience working as a data scientist or similar
- 2+ years of successfully leading and building robust data science and analytics teams
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, optimization, economics, and analytics
- Knowledge of experimental design and analysis
- Experience with exploratory data analysis, statistical analysis and testing, and model development
- Ability to use a language like Python or R to work efficiently at scale with large data sets
- Proficiency in languages and tools like SQL, Hive, and Spark
- Great interpersonal skills, self-starter, organized, able to multitask and be a phenomenal teammate
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to understand and prioritize business goals and strategies
- Advanced experience in experimental design and analysis (e.g., A/B and market-level experiments), as well as causal inference
- Experience in algorithm development and prototyping
- Experience with causal ML methods is a plus
- Technical leadership experience and passion for mentoring
- Experience productionizing algorithms for real-time systems
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.