Data Science Data Analyst at CarGurus (Cambridge)
Who we are
At CarGurus (NASDAQ: CARG), our mission is to give people the power to reach their destination. We started as a small team of developers determined to bring trust and transparency to car shopping. Since then, our history of innovation and go-to-market acceleration has driven industry-leading growth. In fact, we’re the largest and fastest-growing automotive marketplace, and we’ve been profitable for over 15 years.
What we do
The market is evolving, and we are too, moving the entire automotive journey online and guiding our customers through every step. That includes everything from the sale of an old car to the financing, purchase, and delivery of a new one. Today, tens of millions of consumers visit CarGurus.com each month, and ~30,000 dealerships use our products. But they're not the only ones who love CarGurus—our employees do, too. We have a people-first culture that fosters kindness, collaboration, and innovation, and empowers our Gurus with tools to fuel their career growth. Disrupting a trillion-dollar industry requires fresh and diverse perspectives. Come join us for the ride!
We are looking for a Data Analyst who can further the team’s mission of solving core business problems with data science. As we scale our team’s impact to the organization, we need a SQL and data visualization expert who can help us monitor the performance of the predictive models we build, and help wrangle the data we use to build models.
What you’ll do
- Write DBT (Data Build Tool) transformations in SQL (Snowflake) that we can use to train and test our machine learning models
- Become an expert in how data is organized at CarGurus, and a go-to source of such information on the data science team
- Build data visualizations, using Looker, that we can use to track the performance of production models
- Become an expert at optimizing SQL queries using our distributed data warehouse (Snowflake)
- Serve as a liaison between the data science team, analytics engineering team, and product analytics team, staying on top of the latest technologies being adopted, and major changes to underlying data schemas
- Build automated tests to ensure the integrity of the data ingested by the data science team (using DBT)
- Work closely with data scientists, and collaborate closely on new data science projects
- (Optional, depending on interest and math background) Perform and deliver statistical analyses
- (Optional, depending on interest and python skills) Perform data analyses using tools in the jupyter/pandas python ecosystem, and present findings to team members
What you'll bring
- 2+ years of experience in a data analytics role
- Expertise in SQL
- Experience with Snowflake or a similar cloud data warehouse is a plus
- Experience with DBT is also a plus
- Experience with Looker, Tableau or similar data visualization tools
- Previous experience with or exposure to statistics and machine learning is preferred
- Experience with scientific python libraries is not vital, but a plus
- Strong organizational skills and code documentation habits
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Transparent communicator who is open, honest, and collaborative
- Driven self-starter, who is accountable for their work, and proud to take ownership
Working at CarGurus
We reward our Gurus’ curiosity and passion with best-in-class benefits and compensation, including equity for all employees, both when they start and as they continue to grow with us. Our career development and corporate giving programs, as well as our employee resource groups (ERGs) and communities, help people build connections while making an impact in personally meaningful ways. A flexible hybrid model and robust time off policies encourage work-life balance and individual well-being. Thoughtful perks like daily free lunch, a new car discount, meditation and fitness apps, commuting cost coverage, and more help our people create space for what matters most in their personal and professional lives.
We welcome all
CarGurus strives to be a place to which people can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—starting with our hiring process. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. We foster an inclusive environment that values people for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. That’s why we hope you’ll apply even if you don’t check every box listed in the job description. We want to know what only you can bring to CarGurus.
US employees must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. #LI-Hybrid