Verana Health, a digital health company that delivers quality drug lifecycle and medical practice insights from an exclusive real-world data network, recently secured a $150 million Series E led by Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JJDC, Inc. (JJDC) and Novo Growth, the growth-stage investment arm of Novo Holdings.
Existing Verana Health investors GV (formerly Google Ventures), Casdin Capital, and Brook Byers also joined the round, as well as notable new investors, including the Merck Global Health Innovation Fund, THVC, and Breyer Capital.
Our team is reinventing how medical research happens with data and technology. This is a company built by and for people who are looking to get out of their comfort zone and try new things, who want to learn and grow quickly, and who seek to be part of a mission-driven team committed to improving patient lives. Our headquarters are located in San Francisco and we have additional offices in Knoxville, TN and New York City with employees working remotely in AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, LA, MA, NC, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, UT , VA, WA, WI. All employees are required to have permanent residency in one of these states. Candidates who are willing to relocate are also encouraged to apply.
We cannot currently sponsor H1-B or OPT visas at this time.
As a Data Engineer at Verana Health, you will be responsible for extending a set of tools used for data pipeline development. You will have active hands-on experience in design & development of cloud services. Deep understanding of data quality metadata management, data ingestion, and curation. Generate software solutions using Apache Spark, Hive, Presto, and other big data frameworks. Analyzing the systems and requirements to provide the best technical solutions with regard to flexibility, scalability, and reliability of underlying architecture. Document and improve software testing and release processes across the entire data ingestion team.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build scalable data engineering routines in AWS utilizing serverless technologies.
- Participate in code reviews.
- Design solutions to solving problems related to ingestion of highly variable data structures in a highly concurrent cloud environment.
- Utilize PySpark on Glue to execute ETL transformations in event-motivated manner.
- Build microservices for providing abstraction to data ingestion related processes and information.
- Retain metadata for tracking of execution details to reproducibility and providing operational metrics.
- Collaborate with Extraction and Normalization teams to plan new features and define requirements to the system to support the ingestion and normalization of data assets.
- Work closely with technology teams to understand processes and policies driving the team goals.
- A minimum of a BS degree in computer science, software engineering, or related scientific discipline.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in software development.
- Demonstrated ability to build software tools in a collaborative, team oriented environment that are product and customer oriented.
- Experience with OO programming in a production setting, preferably Python.
- 1 year of experience working in AWS cloud computing environment, preferably with Lambda, S3, SNS, SQS.
- Good understanding of relational databases.
- Utilizes source code version control.
- Hands-on experience with Docker containers and container orchestration.
- Healthcare and medical data experience is a plus.
- Additional experience with modern compiled programming languages (C++, Go, Rust).
- Experience building HTTP/REST APIs using popular frameworks.
- Building out extensive automated test suites.
Verana Health values our employees well-being and happiness. We provide fully covered health, vision and dental for employees, Flexible vacation plans, learning and development allowances, a generous parental leave policy, 401K and commuter benefits.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Verana, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.