Data Engineer, Sales (Remote) at Square
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
As a Data Engineer for the Global Sales team, you will build and maintain foundational data infrastructure essential to driving Square’s revenue growth and accelerating seller acquisition. You will work closely with Sales Strategy & Operations, Business Intelligence, Seller Automation, Marketing Data Engineering, and Platform Infrastructure Engineering teams to build best-in-class data pipelines and processes that stitch together complex sets of data stores and drive large investment decisions. Your work will have a direct impact on hundreds of stakeholders at Square.
- Be the expert on end-to-end data flow for Global Sales and partner teams
- Design, build, and maintain critical data pipelines to ensure highly accurate and reliable business reporting
- Monitor daily execution, diagnose and log issues, and fix business critical pipelines to ensure SLAs are met with internal stakeholders
- Bridge gap between business requirements and ETL logic by troubleshooting data discrepancies and implementing scalable solutions
- Make data model and ETL code improvements to improve pipeline efficiency and data quality
- Own data import/export pipelines and incorporate into existing workflows to enable reporting and optimization efforts
- Work with Sales Leadership to own, improve, and maintain all sales data infrastructure, including compensation, metrics, and ad-hoc reporting and analysis
- Work closely with the Data Analysts / Reporting team to understand the dashboard requirements and work backwards to develop a robust data pipeline
- 5+ years experience in a data engineering or business intelligence role supporting Marketing or Sales organizations
- Expertise in SQL, especially within cloud-based data warehouses like Snowflake, Google BigQuery, and Amazon Redshift
- Experience with ETL scheduling technologies with dependency checking, such as Airflow, as well as schema design and dimensional data modeling
- Experience with Python, ability to work with numpy, pandas and sklearn libraries is a plus
- Experience with Linux/OSX command line version control software (git)
- Strong business intuition and ability to understand complex business systems, data architecture, and software design patterns
- Excellent communication skills, particularly when explaining technical matters to less technical co-workers
- Experience with Salesforce data infrastructure is a plus
- Experience with Tableau and Looker data visualization technologies is a plus
- Experience with Anomalo for data quality and Fivetran for streaming data into a warehouse is a plus
- BS degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Math or a related technical field
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD54566975, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD54566975 is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.