Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about creating tactical and strategic plans for maintaining our core infrastructure: our data centers.
We are looking for a self-motivated problem solver to own the power consumption and reporting for our data centers around the globe. Reporting to the Sr. Manager, Data Center Operations, the Power Engineer will champion and scale the power distribution systems within our data centers. They will know how much power our IT infrastructure consumes globally. They will set parameters for efficient and safe operation of the equipment at every level of the data center’s electrical distribution system (from the server power supplies to the upstream generators, UPS, and switchgear). Armed with this information, they will work cross functionally with Network and Systems engineering teams to inform future hardware and data center designs. They will interface with our data center providers to ensure clarity of data and adherence to contractual obligations.
Embedded within data center operations, the Power Engineer will face various challenges and will be able to effect change on a global scale.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Complete failover analysis to understand power limits at the panel level, rack level, and in-rack PDU level.
- Create and implement plans to improve power utilization within our IT spaces.
- Coordinate with capacity planning teams and infrastructure engineering to inform hardware selection and rack elevation design.
- Help build and manage power data ingestion and reporting tools (DCIM or dashboards) to meet customer uptime and data center provider contractual obligations.
- Own the data pipeline for power related information and work with tooling teams to ensure reporting accuracy, i.e. data from in-rack PDUs and upstream power panels.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Understanding of data center power infrastructure - uninterruptible power supplies (UPS), switchgear, remote power panels, in-rack power distribution units (PDUs), power bus bar / shelf design, single-phase and three-phase AC power, and AC/DC and DC/DC power systems.
- Experience modeling power usage including failover analysis.
- Understanding of usage limits along the power delivery system: circuit sizes, breakers, PDUs, etc.
- Knowledge of how IT equipment consumes power and the impact of software and architectural design decisions on power and thermal behavior of the hardware.
- Experience with database applications like MYSQL and spreadsheets.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work effectively with cross-functional project teams.
- Ability to execute work with minimal supervision.
- Experience with scripting languages, i.e., Python, Perl, or Bash, Linux operating systems are a plus.
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Infrastructure #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Infrastructure team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!