GumGum is a global technology and media company specializing in contextual intelligence. For over a decade, we have applied our proven machine learning expertise to extract value from digital content for the advertising industry. The company’s contextual advertising engine, Verity™, comprehends the meaning of text, images and video online, allowing marketers to safely and precisely place ads where people are most engaged. Combining that contextual targeting and brand safety intelligence with proprietary high-impact ad formats, GumGum’s advertising solutions deliver industry leading efficiency, accuracy and performance.
The Computer VIsion Scientist is a key member that will be working on Verity within the Computer Vision team in Santa Monica. On a day-to-day basis, this role operates as a member of the research and development team to deliver solutions that continue to enhance GumGum’s ability for brand safety and contextual understanding in addition to meeting requirements from various advertising campaigns.
The person in this role will need to stay relevant and up to date with state-of-the-art technology, often building upon existing algorithms to develop innovative products to meet our industry and client’s needs. Efforts are concentrated on image classification and detection but the role also focuses on video processing.
The role works within a large cross functional team that involves collaborating with our Natural Language Processing team to work on multimodal solutions and our Machine Learning Engineering team on projects related to our CI/CD environments. The person in this role will make a significant impact on Verity’s product offerings which will be key to generating revenue streams for the business.
Please note, GumGum is only open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and MN.
- Assess and implement algorithms and methods from relevant literature utilizing open source Vision/Math tools such as OpenCV, PyTorch, Tensorflow
- Collaborate regularly with cross-functional teams (Machine Learning Engineering, Natural Language Processing, Product) to build upon existing products, brainstorm creative solutions for new products, and to share technical learnings with each other
- Enhance existing solutions including code refactoring to optimize for performance, reliability, efficiency, and scalability
- Write and maintain clean and modular code to deploy in production environment
- Contribute to active research communities through conference/journal publications, meetups, and workshops
- MS in Computer Vision, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics or Physics, Machine Learning or a related technical field
- 1- 2 years Experience in Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Image Analysis
- 1- 2 years Experience applying machine learning and deep learning to images / video data with 3rd party Vision/Math tools such as OpenCV, PyTorch, Tensorflow
- Experience with AWS ecosystem preferred
- Experience with temporal and multimodal data for both images and video preferred
- Experience training with large datasets preferred
- Experience with CPU/GPU optimization preferred
- Publications in top-tier journals and conferences preferred
- Strong program fluency in Python / C++ and familiar with Linux environment
- Strong communication skills to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams including both technical and non-technical team members
- Strong critical and logical skills while also being able to “think outside the box” to come up with creative solutions to meet the project needs
- Organized self-starter with proactive attitude
- Critical thinker, able to break down complex problems and work with ambiguity
- Team player that works well with others in a cross functional team
- An advocate for continuous learning such that they are motivated to stay on top of latest developments
- Demonstrate independence or has leadership qualities to step in and guide a project from conception to production (i.e. self-motivated and takes initiative)
- Intuition to know when to pivot from an existing research project to another such that they are able to remove themselves from going down an endless rabbit hole.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare including 100% coverage for Employee + Spouse/family
- Dependent care FSA
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Stock incentive program (role dependent)
- Paid parental leave
- Goodly - student loan contribution plan
- WFH monthly stipend
- Anniversary recognition and awards
- Fitness reimbursement and wellness workshops
- Discounted Pet Health Program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Dog-friendly HQ office - we love our fur babies! Check us out on Instagram @dogsofgumgum
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- A team that has transitioned to remote work impressively, and remains highly collaborative and connected
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Team building lunches and events, and monthly company celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- The Voice Coalition- Through our council committee, The VOICE Coalition’s mission is to build an equitable, supportive, and inclusive culture where all voices are heard and all differences are celebrated through thoughtful, engaging, and authentic programming and community involvement. We’ve created awareness and appreciation for our employees through Hispanic Heritage month, Women of GumGum, Asian Pacific American, GG Pride, etc.
Return to office: Our big vision for our futuristic “Farmhouses” in 2022!
- Offices will now be referred to as the “GumGum Farmhouse” -- a futuristic space centered around a bigger purpose: flexibility, sustainability, community, and growth!
- GumGum will continue to be a flexible/remote-friendly environment, however, offices will re-open in 2022 for any employees who choose to come in to collaborate, participate in an event, host your clients, contribute to our growing of plants/herbs/vegetables/etc.
Thoughtful…We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external)
Agility…We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
Grit…We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award in 2021 by BuiltInLA, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum