Cloud Data Operations Lead at John Deere (Des Moines, IA)
John Deere is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability .
Primary Location: United States (US) - Iowa - Urbandale
Function: Engineering (CA)
Title: Cloud Data Operations Lead - 86608
Onsite/Remote: Remote Position
Visa sponsorship is available for this position
The John Deere Intelligent Solutions Group (ISG) develops the full technology stack of hardware, devices, software, and applications to enable the next generation of intelligent, connected machines. We design machines that execute their tasks with precision, collaborate seamlessly with other equipment and get smarter over time.
This position is eligible for remote work at the present time. The arrangement may be delayed for training or other job acclimation purposes and remains subject to change.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to architect and lead the development of a cloud-based system for cataloging, searching, requesting, and consuming the data produced onboard Deere equipment during development projects. Engineering teams will use the system you create to understand and analyze the performance of our system, as well as, train and test computer vision and machine learning (CVML) algorithms. Responsibilities include:
- Architect data stores, transfer technology, and processing tools to serve as a single source of truth for A&A engineering data with an emphasis on low future maintenance and quick startup for new projects.
- Leverage John Deere established data infrastructure (Enterprise Data Lake, Databricks, MTG, etc.) where possible and bring in new technology when necessary to meet the A&A needs.
- Work with product manager on setting high level priorities (feature requests). Translate these priorities into user stories and design guidance for team execution.
- Hands-on implementation of data infrastructure in collaboration with IT and partner team in India.
- Collaborate with data scientists and engineers to improve data quality, accuracy, and overall system performance
- Integrate with other data storage and analysis systems in order to facilitate the creation of data science products
- Mentor and provide technical direction to data scientists on the team.
- Write clean, well-tested code to enable efficient cataloging and search on data attributes
- Ensure data solution meets all Deere policies for data and cloud security.
What Skills You Need
- 8 or more years of advanced technical experience designing and building data products
- 3 or more years of project experience building applications using AWS technologies
- Ability to craft innovative solutions to complex problems leveraging onboard hardware, controllers, and AWS technologies
- Strong leadership skills including project management skills, agile experience, and team leadership (supervision or project lead experience)
- Demonstrated mastery with Python, Java, or Scala
- 2 or more years of project experience with MySQL, Postgres, or NoSQL databases
- Strong interpersonal skills, with proven ability to take initiative and build productive relationships
- Demonstrated commitment to team success and a proactive, collaborative approach to problem solving
- Ability to influence without authority and collaborate with partner teams and internal customers.
What Makes You Stand Out
- Experience developing data products in the John Deere ecosystem including understanding Deere's Cloud Security and Enterprise Data Lake (EDL) requirements.
- Experience with onboard data logging and over the air data transmission.
- Experience with Computer Vision and Machine Learning.
- Existing network within John Deere's Digital, ISG Architecture, EDL, and Cloud Security organizations.
- Strong communications skills, including the ability to clearly convey advanced technical concepts to a non-analytical audience
- Prior experience developing systems to integrate with Databricks Delta Lake
- Knowledge of Agriculture and Construction & Forestry equipment
Ideally you will have a degree or equivalent related work experience in the following:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
What You'll Get
At John Deere, you are empowered to create a career that will take you to where you want to go while working in an inclusive team environment. Here, you'll enjoy the freedom to explore new projects, the support to think outside the box and the advanced tools and technology that foster innovation and achievement. Additionally, we offer a comprehensive reward package to help you get started on your new career path, including:
- Flexible work arrangements
- Highly competitive base pay and performance bonuses
- Savings & Retirement benefits (401k and Defined Benefit Pension)
- Healthcare benefits with a generous company contribution in the Health Savings Account
- Adoption assistance
- Employee Assistance Programs
- Tuition assistance
- Fitness subsidies and on-site gyms at specific Deere locations
- Charitable contribution match
- Employee Purchase Plan & numerous discount programs for personal use
Click here to find out more about our Total Rewards Package.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of individuals performing the job. The qualifications detailed in this job description are not considered the minimum requirements necessary to perform the job, but rather as guidelines .
The terms of the applicable benefit plans, and all company actions administering or interpreting these plans, continue to control. Deere & Company reserves the right to suspend, amend, modify, or terminate the Plan(s) in any manner at any time, including the right to modify or eliminate any cost-sharing between the company and participants. Changes, which can be made at any time, are made by action of the company's board of directors, or to the extent authorized by resolution of its board of directors, or by the Deere & Company Compensation Committee. In the event of a conflict between the language of the official Plan Documents and this document, the language of the official Plan Documents will control.
ACA Section 1557 Nondiscrimination Notice
The John Deere Health Benefit Plans for Salaried and Wage Employees comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.