You + Helix
Helix is a place where innovators and doers gather in order to drive significant progress in population genomics. We have come together to work at the intersection of clinical care, research, and genomics.
If you’re excited by the idea of making a meaningful impact and joining a team where we pride ourselves on driving innovation through fostering an environment with an emphasis on empowering one another to grow, Helix might be the place for you!
Helix + The World
Our end-to-end population genomics platform enables health systems, life sciences companies, and payers to advance genomic research and accelerate the integration of genomic data into routine clinical care. We support all aspects of population genomics from recruitment to translational research and help our partners use genomics to improve health outcomes, increase patient engagement, and lower costs. Leading health systems, including Renown Health, AdventHealth, and Mayo Clinic, use our population genomics platform to power some of the world’s largest and fastest-growing population genomics initiatives.
For the COVID-19 public health crisis, Helix has built one of the nation’s largest COVID diagnostic labs and has been on the leading edge of national viral surveillance efforts tracking B.1.1.7 and other viral strains.
We are looking for a Bioinformatics Scientist to join our team. You will work cross-functionally with our laboratory R&D, research, engineering, and quality teams to develop new analytical capabilities toward democratizing access to genomic information. The ideal candidate has an insatiable curiosity, entrepreneurial spirit, enjoys teamwork, and is excited about the potential of combining next-generation sequencing (NGS) data with the expertise of all our partners.
What’s important to us:
- Curiosity — we are all passionate about the possibilities enabled by having access to your own genome
- Responsibility — we have an obligation to people and our partners to operate with highly credible research guided by well respected advisors, with clear and effective communication about our products
- Agility — flexibility and a desire to be nimble, smart, and effective are important to the Helix culture
- Follow-through — we’re building a diverse team with amazing track records of achievement in multidisciplinary environments
As a Bioinformatics Scientist, you will:
- Develop novel tools and methods for increasing our analytical capabilities
- Work with large datasets to derive insights to improve our assays and our business
- Collaborate cross-functionally with experimental biologists, product managers, software engineers, quality engineers
- Ph.D. in a quantitative field (computational biology, mathematics, statistics, computer science, etc), or an MS + 2 years of experience in the industry
- Experience developing and implementing algorithms with human NGS (exome/genome preferred) sequence data
- Experience analyzing and manipulating large datasets in Python, R, or other languages
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Entrepreneurial spirit; willing to contribute in multiple areas; curious and independently motivated
- Problem-focused and able to drive tasks to completion
- Trained in graduate-level probability/statistics
- Experience with machine learning algorithms
- Ability to explain complicated topics to lay audience
- Experience with GitHub, AWS, etc
- Code documentation intended for general audience readability and use
- Familiarity with regulated software systems and entities
What Helix can offer you:
- Competitive and equitable compensation
- 401(k) with employer matching
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision
- 12 weeks of Maternity or Paternity leave
- 4 weeks of paid Pregnancy Disability
- On-premise nursing room
- Flexible PTO
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.