Associate, Sensory Insights at Juul Labs (Raleigh, NC)
Juul Labs’ mission is to impact the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by eliminating combustible cigarettes. We have the opportunity to address one of the world’s most intractable challenges through a commitment to exceptional quality, research, design, and innovation. Backed by leading technology investors, we are committed to the same excellence when it comes to hiring great talent.
We are a diverse team that is united by this common purpose and we are hiring the world’s best engineers, scientists, designers, product managers, operations experts, and customer service and business professionals. If the opportunity to build your career at one of the fastest growing companies is compelling, read on for more details.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
JUUL Labs is seeking an Associate, Sensory Insights to apply sensory testing techniques and principles, including descriptive analysis (DA), discrimination and acceptability methods in the design of sensory studies using both established sensory testing standards and creative solutions to new problems. The ideal candidate brings a general understanding of when methodologies need to be created or modified for unique project needs.
This position reports to the Sensory Sr. Manager and is based in Durham, NC at JUUL Labs' new state of the art Sensory Lab.
- Effectively plan and manage projects under the direction of senior sensory scientists.
- Aid in the management of descriptive and discrimination panels by participating in panel recruiting, panel training, and in reviewing descriptive data and panel performance.
- Provide sensory analytical support to technical research programs and the qualification of new CROs.
- Provide support to other team members as needed.
- Participate in department and interdepartmental planning and management teams; works cross functionally to improve processes within the organization.
- Perform statistical analysis of sensory descriptive data to support projects and to monitor panel performance.
- Interpret results to deliver the “so what” and present findings in written report format. Opportunities for delivery of results orally in departmental and cross-functional meetings will be extended as candidate demonstrates readiness.
- Demonstrates high attention to detail, hands-on mind-set, effective time management, pro-active disposition and must be a flexible team player.
- Generates surveys and collects data via automated sensory data collection systems.
- General understanding of importance and basic principles of data and intellectual property management.
- Good communication skills including ability to write concise, informative reports and verbally present complex technical information to non-technical audiences. Ability to listen and identify project objective and influence research plan.
- Demonstrated passion, flexibility, and excitement for the work.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Prefer 5+ years experience with BS
- Prefer 3+ years of work experience with MS
- Very well structured and organized
- Excels in organization and multi-tasking.
- Experience maintaining prioritization of projects.
- Skilled in reading & interpreting, professional journals and technical procedures.
- Working knowledge in the appropriate use of statistical techniques to analyze and interpret data. General understanding of the use of experimental designs.
- Experience defining problems, collecting data, establishing facts, and drawing valid conclusions.
- Specific data collection software skills both in using and programming (Eye questions, Fizz or Compusense).
- Stats data analysis software knowledge: XL Stat
- Good knowledge of sensory methodologies including descriptive, discriminative, and stability tests.
- Experience in moderating group discussions a plus
- Bachelor's Degree in Food Science or equivalent with either a major in sensory science, behavioral psychology or applied statistics. Advanced degree, a plus.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits