Actuarial Consultant - Claim Analytics at CNA
Join an analytics team within the Property & Casualty Claim department made up of actuarial, business intelligence and data professionals. There are two positions available. One position is aligned with the Workers Compensation Claim organization and the other is aligned with the Healthcare and Professional Services Claim group. Both support many other Claim-wide efforts including a transition of data and reporting to the Google Cloud Platform. Under technical direction, the successful candidate will support the cloud transition as well as the establishment of metrics, the innovative claim data analyses and the business intelligence needs of the Claim leaders and collaborate with counterparts in Actuarial Reserving on the impact of Claim department changes and trends on claim data. This candidate will be technically strong and will enhance our capabilities to make data driven decisions and recommendations in this non-traditional actuarial role.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Performs actuarial calculations, moderately complex actuarial studies, and develops monitoring metrics and claim analyses for the assigned Claim area.
- Participates in the development of pricing strategies and/or new pricing tools with a focus of driving profitability for a product line or segment.
- Prepares or coordinates the preparation of financial reports, operating statements and business forecasts.
- Prepares or coordinates the preparation of standard reports, as well as, special reports for management.
- Facilitates communication and provides guidance to Actuarial Reserving regarding Claim operations and collaborates with other functional groups (e.g. Underwriting, Pricing, Finance) related to claim operations.
- May participate in special projects.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Director or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Solid knowledge of core functions of an insurance company, general insurance, actuarial and statistical concepts.
2. Demonstrated technical expertise and product specific knowledge.
3. Strong analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to effectively resolve moderately complex situations and issues. Demonstrates attention to detail.
4. Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
5. Ability to work independently, as well in a team, manage time and resources to accomplish multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
6. Good time management with strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and manage work deliverables effectively.
7. Ability to exercise independent judgment and make critical business decisions effectively within scope of authority based on data analyses and reviews.
8. Ability to adapt to change and value diverse opinions and ideas.
9. Ability to comprehend business data and metrics and to further articulate analyses of actuarial data within internal reports.
10. Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software systems, including processing systems and applications. Working knowledge of Looker, Tableau or other data visualization software a plus. Working knowledge of SQL or ability to learn SQL a must.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's Degree in a relevant discipline, or equivalent.
2. Typically a two to four years of related work experience, and at least three to five successfully completed CAS exams. May include those with their Associateship.