Actuarial Analyst at Hippo Insurance
Location: Palo Alto, CA / Austin, TX / Dalls, TX/ Bedminster, NJ
Reporting to: Property Casualty Insurance Actuarial Manager, Rate Filings
Title: Actuarial Analyst
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide homeowners with the best policies, best value, and best customer service in the industry. And as if that isn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from experiencing problems with their homes to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
About the role:
Under the guidance of the Actuarial Manager, Rate filings, this individual will provide actuarial support for the state rate\rule filing process for the Homeowners and related insurance products.
- Participate in the planning cycle for state filings
- Research the current guidelines, rules, statutes as applicable for filings
- Pull, aggregate, query and validate ratemaking data
- Participate in the development of the recommendation on rates and rating plan to satisfy financial objectives of the organization
- Perform complex trend analysis (e.g. frequency and severity trends)
- Automate and enhance processes to improve efficiencies
- Prepare, validate, organize and analyze data for the filings
- Conduct exhibit preparation to be used within rate filings
- Create and\or edit rule manuals as relevant for the filings
- Draft responses to state regulatory objections
- Continuously communicate filing status to key stakeholders
- 2-3 years experience in property casualty insurance personal lines
- Sufficient successful progress for the casualty actuarial exam track
- Proficiency in Excel and SQL
- Knowledge of Python and R is an advantage
- Bachelor’s degree in actuarial science, mathematics, statistics, economics or a related field
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401K, long & short term disability, EAP and flexible spending accounts.
- Flexible Paid Time Off- Uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Hippo Habitat- Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain. We also offer commuter benefits including free parking pass. Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s for all!
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.