Technical Writer/Editor II at Ball Aerospace
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Strategic Operations (StratOps) Strategic Support Unit, consists of Washington DC Operations, Marketing & Communications and Strategic Development. The StratOps team promotes and elevates the business within our markets, works with customers and competition to influence and drive the growth of Ball Aerospace and facilitates collaboration across the business enterprise to increase opportunities.
Technical Writer/Editor II
Communicate the company’s technical information in ways that are more understandable, usable, and accessible for employees and customers.
What You’ll Do:
- Proof, edit, write, research, organize, and format technical content for business proposals, program reports, hardware specifications, user manuals, white papers, and other documentation.
- Review and edit professional journal articles for clarity, grammar, format, and compliance with applicable standards.
- Create forms, checklists, procedures, and work instructions to support business processes.
- Apply company- and community-specific publication standards, branding elements, style guides, and best practices to create high-quality, Ball-branded professional content in all materials developed.
- Coordinate team efforts for document layout, illustration development, and reprographics for final document production.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS/BA in a related field plus 3 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Technical Writing, Technical Communication, Professional Writing, Journalism, English, Library Science, or Communications with an emphasis or work experience in a technology area (engineering or computer science preferred).
- Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or another degree with an emphasis or demonstrated work experience in technical writing or Certificate in Technical Communications preferred.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Expertise in writing, editing, proofing, and researching technical documentation.
- Ability to interview subject matter experts, grasp key technical concepts, and distill information into technically accurate, understandable prose.
- Ability to condense or revise highly technical content into easily understandable text and ensure thoroughness and accuracy of all publications.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work multiple projects simultaneously, under deadline pressure with fast turnarounds.
- Ability to coordinate with project personnel, support functions, and subject matter experts.
- Ability to review the scope of documents against program objectives or proposal requirements to ensure compliance and completeness of information.
- Ability to work well with people as well as independently, and with little or no supervision after initial briefing.
- Ability to maintain a predictable work schedule with infrequent, occasional flexibility for evening or weekend work to meet deadlines, as needed.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, SharePoint, Visio, and Project, and Adobe Acrobat Pro and Creative Suite.
- Ability to design the structure of complex documents.
- Ability to incorporate accessibility considerations for those with disabilities.
- Ability to identify and implement visual design elements to improve readability and understanding.
- Ability to apply information mapping concepts to organize complicated topics.
- Current TS/SCI clearance required.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is not available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $59,000 - $80,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.