Technical Writer at Fastly (Remote)
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
As a member of the Documentation team, you will help us define how we create and communicate the next generation of Fastly’s customer-facing documentation. Under the aegis of the Product Experience group within the Product organization, you will serve as a technical communications expert on cross-functional teams that develop and launch products, services, and features at all stages of their Fastly lifecycle.
As a successful candidate, curiosity, empathy, and passion should guide the majority of your work. You’ll create content that empowers readers of all skill levels. You’ll specifically create content that helps our customers architect solutions, from simple to complex, for interfacing with all of Fastly’s offerings.
What You'll Do
- You’ll curate and grow our public-facing documentation. You’ll create content that helps us update existing offerings and bring new ones to market, ensuring the details remain findable, relevant, and accurate. You’ll develop this content in an Agile, documentation-as-code environment.
- You’ll experiment with new technology. You’ll work with other technical writers and resident engineers to explore new documentation frameworks and experiment with new tooling as we expand our platform and enhance the developer onboarding experience.
- You’ll help us educate developers. You’ll collaborate with cross-functional teams to create deeply relevant content that will allow developers to seamlessly produce a programmable and reliable edge cloud platform. Your work will help us elevate developers from customers to advocates.
What We're Looking For
- Someone who is not just a writer, but a technical storyteller. You understand not just how to write something, but why and when. And you have the education and experience to back that up, preferably with a bachelor’s degree in communication (or the equivalent) and 2-3 years as a technical writer in an online technology field. Cloud-based writing experience is a major plus.
- Someone with a breadth of content creation experience. From quick starts, conceptual guides, and integration instructions to API references, interface microcopy, and how-tos, you have experience writing a wide variety of materials.
- Someone savvy with tools and technologies. Your GitHub pull requests show your Markdown savvy. You’re familiar with version control and content management systems, static site generators, and various knowledge bases. And you don’t mind exploring a bit of unfamiliar technology on your own, just to see how it works. Experience with Jekyll or Gatsby would be a big plus.
- Someone creative, confident, and concise. You excel at figuring out exactly how much to simplify complex, technical information for your audiences. Your business cards could potentially claim “I translate Geek for a living.” You don’t believe 50 words are necessary when 10 will do.
- Someone collaborative and independent in equal measure. You understand that consistency remains the key to making the development process smooth and painless, especially as a member of cross-functional projects. Grammar, style, tone, and voice guide your writing, but you’re not afraid to find new ways to get something accomplished, especially when things aren’t working.
In accordance with applicable law, Fastly’s minimum base pay for this role if hired in Colorado is $94,000 per year. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Fastly's equity plan. Final offer amount will be at the company’s sole discretion and determined by multiple factors, including years and depth of experience and expertise, location and other business considerations. Note that this role is available to candidates outside of Colorado and different minimum compensation may apply.
Fastly is proud to deliver a strong total rewards program to our employees. This role is eligible to participate in the following benefits:
- Health benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
- Medical: Cigna or Kaiser available
- Retirement benefits and employer match
- Life Insurance (Basic and Voluntary Life)
- Short & Long Term Disability with a buy-up LTD option
- Voluntary Accident & Critical Illness benefits
- Flex Spending Accounts & Mass Transit benefits
- Open Vacation Policy
- Sick Time
- Generous leave benefits (medical, maternity, paternity, and personal)
- Paid wellness days
- Employee Assistance Program
- Learning & reimbursement program stipend
- Mobile and internet allowance
- Wellness stipend
- Pet insurance
Fastly reserves the right to amend or modify for any reasons in accordance with applicable law.
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit, please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.