At Built In, the health, safety and well-being of our employees and of our communities is a top priority. Due to the effects of COVID-19, we have decided to manage our entire business remotely until further notice. HQ-based employees will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our office. As we continue to grow, we are excited to be hiring for all open roles and look forward to meeting with qualified candidates in a virtual setting. For anyone who joins our team (yay!), your onboarding experience will also be conducted virtually. Thank you for your interest in Built In and be safe!Hello, we’re Built In
We are a network of online communities for technology companies and startups. We connect talent to startups, cover local tech news and host events. Headquartered in Chicago, we currently operate in seven markets: Chicago, LA, NYC, Colorado, Austin, Boston and Seattle.
By working at Built In, you’ll have the chance to work directly with the latest and fastest-growing technology companies all around the country. We help other companies solve their biggest pain points — talent and awareness — with our employer branding and recruitment solutions.Your Job
As a staff writer, you will be joining our Brand Studio team of writers, editors, strategists and project managers collaborating each day to develop high-quality content in support of the tech and startup community. We are looking for a startup loving, analytical, tech-crazy writer with a fresh voice and style.Primary Job Responsibilities
- Write and edit multiple pieces of branded content weekly across our full product suite
- Assist with all stages of editorial production as assigned
- Submit editorial packages that meet Built In quality standards and live up to content mission
- Effectively communicate with internal and external teams to ensure all deadlines are met
- Write compelling social media copy for internal and external channels
- Cooperatively take on other duties, roles, or responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Communications, Journalism, English, or a related field
- At least three years of writing experience at a publication
- At least 1 year of client-facing experience
- Robust research and interviewing skills
- Comprehension of AP Style and ability to write using custom style guides
- Literacy in technology, product and innovation
- Eagerness to produce in a data-driven environment
- Previous experience at an agency or tech publication preferred
Lead with Solutions.
Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
Be Unreasonably Passionate.
Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
Own the Result.
We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a full-blown breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation, 401(k), stock options and benefits.
- We pay a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision and disability.
- Casual dress and flexible work hours. Come in your sweatshirt, jeans, college jersey. We don't care. We focus on the quality of your work and your collegiality more than on your apparel.
- Free food! Yes, you read that correctly. We keep our kitchen stocked with free healthy snack foods. We also have cold brew coffee on tap and provide catered lunch (Monday through Thursday). We eat lunch together most days, which means you’ll quickly feel like part of the team.
- Fun work environment. We operate as a flat organization where everyone is responsible to self-manage and take ownership of their work. We are humble, hardworking, honest and fun. And we regularly debate office pets, take turns DJing and find time to celebrate our wins as a company.
- We offer unlimited vacation and sick time. We let you take time away from work for vacation, personal or short-term sickness, as your good judgment and workload allow.
- Built In is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Built In is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.