The Social Media Editor creates and curates content across social media platforms to grow and engage audiences. They should be skilled at utilizing analytics to adapt to audience feedback and improve engagement. They are familiar with different social media channels and able to collaborate with other team members to meet goals.
What you will do:
- Lead the effort to identify, create and curate content across social platforms in ways that grows and more deeply engages our audience
- Overall responsibility for our social media strategy and execution, including training members of the staff on best practices
- Take the lead in creating and curating social content on the company pages and accounts to increase our social audience and encourage deeper engagement that leads to digital subscriptions
- Work with teams and individuals across the newsroom to develop social strategies around specific stories or topics, including live events and our most significant enterprise efforts
- Uses social analytics and tools to listen to our audience and identify breaking and trending news and social and content programming opportunities
- Work with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Reddit and others to stay on top of social trends and tools and help newsroom leadership determine where to focus our energy to produce the greatest return
- Assists with our growing email newsletter and digital subscription efforts, as well as training on SEO and other digital skills
What you will bring:
- Demonstrated mastery of writing, editing and design across a multitude of social platforms
- Experience using metrics and web stats to identify topics that can increase audiences for printed products
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced production environment with multiple deadlines for multiple publications
- Broad knowledge of social media platforms and how to use them efficiently, especially video. Platform knowledge should include, but not be limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Google+, Pinterest, Tumblr, etc.
- In tune with current pop culture and local/national news events and be able to follow social trends as they develop and react to them quickly
- Digital photo editing skills, including Photoshop, InDesign or other image editing software
- Knowledge of social media analytics and social media publishing tools such as CrowdTangle, SocialFlow, EchoBox, Tweetdeck, Hootsuite, strongly preferred
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal, critical-thinking and problem-solving skills and an ability to work with people at all levels and across departments and divisions
- Communicates effectively in both oral and written form
- Bachelor's Degree in journalism, marketing, communication or equivalent experience required
- 3-5 years content strategy and design experience, preferably with a newspaper
- Experience with social storytelling is a must, as is a thorough knowledge of social media best practices, tools, analytics and partners relevant for a media company
This job is currently "temporarily remote" but may become permanent remote. It may require the person lives in or around the market coverage area. Attending meetings and events in the market area may be required as needed. Driving may be required in order to go to various in-market destinations.
Who we are:
The Chico Enterprise-Record is a daily newspaper serving Chico, California, and the surrounding Butte County area. It is a part of the larger Northern California Community Newspapers group, including close sister papers Oroville Mercury-Register, Paradise Post and Red Bluff Daily News. Also known as the E-R, the newspaper was first published in Bidwell Bar, California as the Butte Record in 1853 and is now part of the MediaNews Group corporation, who took control of the paper from Donrey in 1999.
"Built In Best Places to Work 2023 Winner"
The hourly wage is $17.45. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, time in role, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, MediaNews Group offers a comprehensive benefits package, and 401K plan (all benefits are based on eligibility).