Jellyvision is hiring a Lead UX Writer
Jellyvision’s headquarters is in Chicago, and, post-COVID, many of us will be returning to the Chicago offices (by choice, not requirement -- our philosophy is “Flexible First”). But this position is also eligible for work by a remote employee out of CA, FL, GA, IL, KY, MA, MI, MN, NE, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, TX, UT, VA, WA, or WI.
What we do
We’re the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that makes choosing (and using) employee benefits easier and more enjoyable. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think the best way to achieve that is with a staff that reflects the vast range of ideas, perspectives, and experiences of the millions of people who use our products.
Who we are
Jellyvision is committed to continuous evolution and to fostering a more diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone is welcomed, valued, and respected. It doesn’t matter your race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, or country of origin...we just want amazing people who are willing to grow along with us.
How you’ll help
As the Lead UX Writer at Jellyvision, you’ll run our team of three UX Writers and will contribute your own writing to our products and features. UX Writers at Jellyvision take the helm of a virtual smorgasbord of projects, crafting the language that millions of our end users hear and see when they use our products, and collaborating with cross-functional teams to bring their vision of great user experiences to life.
Our brand and the success of our products rely hugely on our writers, who have an ear for how people speak in their everyday lives. As the Lead UX Writer, you will work closely with the SVP of Design to ensure the writing team’s work meets our high-quality standards. You’ll manage writers’ performance constantly; coach each writer based on their skills, needs, and goals; and own the best practices by which our UX Writers bring ALEX to life.
What you’ll do
- Manage our team of three UX Writers by supporting, coaching, and reviewing their work regularly and providing clear feedback along the way.
- Help your team set good business- and product-focused quarterly goals.
- Work with JV’s SVP of Design to keep our writing best practices and quality standards updated and clearly documented, and own responsibility for the writing team’s adherence to those standards.
- Collaborate with the other managers in our Creative department to make sure the whole crew (~15 of us) is working collaboratively, happily, and efficiently.
- Work with cross-functional leaders to staff your team smartly against product roadmaps.
- Hire and train new UX Writers when necessary.
- Keep the UX Writing team on top of the latest trends in their discipline, ensuring JV’s work is industry-leading, and that our writers are highly competitive should they ever seek UX Writing gigs elsewhere.
- Add on products and features where you are the assigned UX Writer, you’ll need to:
- Write in a variety of mediums, both within our existing products and on new products and features, balancing Jellyvision’s desire to express our unique brand voice, with our users’ desire to achieve their goals quickly and easily.
- Research and understand complex topics related to healthcare, benefits, and finances, and synthesize that research into problems you’ll propose solutions to.
- Work with a cross-functional team to create prototypes that illustrate product features.
- Explain and re-explain your creative vision for the duration of a project, collaborating with artists, designers, and engineers to bring great user experiences to life.
Experience & skills you’ll need
- 5+ years experience managing a team of writers
- Exceptional writing talent across a variety of mediums, with demonstrated skill in crafting succinct, conversational, clever, and helpful language.
- Skill in conveying concepts creatively, logically, and concisely in writing and talking.
- Great creative judgment. You’ll need to know helpful, polished, clever, and clear when you see it, and when you don’t, you need to know how to direct your team to get there.
- An ability to understand and create logically complex user experiences like the ones underlying many of our products.
- A knack for understanding what’s inherently interesting and relevant about whatever you’re communicating, and the drive to ask questions until you do.
- A knack for developing strong relationships across the company so you can keep our teams aligned and influence where we’re headed.
- The ability to feel deep understanding and empathy for our users and customers, by way of your instincts, experience, and research.
- Tech savvy. We won’t ask you to set up our wireless network or write code, but you will be using complicated software that you’ve never used before (because we invented it).
- An ability to think audio-visually. Any background or dabbling in audio or film editing will come in handy (though it’s not required).
- When submitting your application, we ask that you please attach examples of your work. This can include, but is not limited to: a portfolio URL, writing sample, links to published content, etc.
- Communicates effectively
- Cultivates innovation
- Decision quality
- Directs work
- Manages ambiguity
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!