Job SummaryThe Director of Content Strategy & Operations is a strategic, creative, and results-oriented leader responsible for organizing processes, people, and technologies to strategically plan, produce, distribute, and analyze content. This person will direct and manage content marketing initiatives. The ideal candidate is not only a seasoned storyteller, exceptional writer, and social media expert, but is also passionate about content and eager to transform internal processes to build a highly effective, data-driven content marketing function. This role operates at the center of BlackLine’s go-to-market activities. This position works directly with every Marketing team, as well as Sales, Sales Enablement, Customer Success, Support, Implementations, and Product Management. The ideal candidate possesses a “can-do” attitude and is not afraid to navigate a complex and fluid environment. This role must think editorially and have a keen understanding of what it takes to deliver the right message at the right time in the right place.
The ideal candidate has extensive experience in leading and managing a broad scope of functions within a dynamic and complex organization.
This is an exciting role in a fast-growing company, as a successful individual will help unify the BlackLine brand, voice, and experience across internal departments and external channels.
Roles and Responsibility (list in order of importance)
Build a world-class content operations function and team by developing and implementing end-to-end content operations from idea to planning, prioritization, execution, and reporting.
- Define and document the content organization structure, operational workflows, and processes to support business needs
- Build and manage content governance model. Validate content adheres to these guidelines
Drive best practice in content sharing, standardization, and operational efficiency across the content strategy, production, distribution, and measurement process
- Optimize content utilization, measure content efficacy, adapt plans, recommend next steps by identifying the reasons for success/failure against KPIs
- Manage optimization of reporting processes and metrics so marketing team leaders can make informed decisions around content that drives the greatest value for prospects and customers
- Iterate and maintain production processes and best practices, and suggest and implement improvements
- Drive internal alignment with product marketing and the broader marketing team on content operations, development, and program needs
- Evaluate and monitor existing tools and technologies, and make recommendations for changes or additions to enable BlackLine’s content operations to scale
Oversee internationalization and translation of marketing content at scale to bring BlackLine’s voice to new and existing markets.
- Transform and own internationalization and translation processes through vendors and contractors
- Define translation requirements and priorities and operationalize for all marketing regions including North America, EMEA, and APAC
Define content strategy, guide marketing strategy, and ensure efficient delivery.
- Create a vision for effective content strategy, production, and management that powers and empowers digital, demand gen, and programs marketing to drive growth for the business; Collaborate with these teams to plan, prioritize, and deliver content in service to their shared and unique goals
- Drive strategic content initiatives and ensure alignment with BlackLine brand, value propositions, and audience segments
- Manage and lead efforts to explore, test, and iterate on new content concepts, using data and customer/prospect insight to drive decisions in the identification of paths forward on these new content concepts and their measures of success
- Collaborate with external stakeholders (e.g., partners, contractors, industry thought leaders) to identify and guide opportunities to amplify BlackLine messaging and reach across key audiences
- Manageand support a strategic thought leadership program, including an editorial calendar and cross-functional engagement strategy
- Define marketing and editorial projects for the content team that are data-driven and keep them focused on results
- Coordinate and direct the production of a variety of content marketing initiatives including white papers, case studies, email marketing, social media, web content, and more
- Work with internal marketing teams to help lead and direct strategy to optimize BlackLine web presence/experience
- Perform other duties as assigned
Managerial Responsibility (if applicable)
- Direct a highly productive team of content marketers, copyeditors, and outside consultants
- Has budgeting responsibility: Own and manage global translation budget for all language markets including but not limited to conversion from US English to UK- and Canadian English along with translation into French, German, Spanish, and other languages AND Oversee and manage annual content marketing budget including monitoring production spend, evaluating overage requests, and proposing recommendations for budget changes to meet internal targets. Track actuals and identify trends across projects.
Years of Experience in Related Field: 10+ years of content marketing experience including production and management; 3+ years of managerial or leadership experience; Previous experience in B2B technology, preferably in SaaS, cloud services, or financial services
Education: Undergraduate degree in English, PR, Journalism, Marketing, or a related discipline, or the equivalent work experience
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Mastery in scheduling, project management, analytics dashboards, and Excel
- Technically savvy with a passion for developing nimble systems and tools to help establish cross-functional process efficiencies, and manage production processes and workflows
- Knowledge of or experience with a content management database, ideally Kapost
- Excellent written and verbal skills with great attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, meet demanding deadlines, prioritize workflow, and adjust to frequent workload fluctuations
- Ability to collaborate effectively cross-departmentally, manage multiple projects with changing priorities, and initiate projects with minimal guidance
- Ability to direct work and work independently while also being a strong collaborator
- Ability to manage multiple activities and details at one time
- Data-driven with a strong analytical mindset - comfortable interpreting and summarizing data, and drawing actionable insights and action items from analysis
- Ability to zoom scope from both big-picture strategic thinking to nuanced details of operational tasks.
- Skilled in operational excellence, ruthlessly process-driven, organized, analytical, and talented at managing teams with diverse objectives, timelines and responsibilities.
- Sensitivity to working with multinational, multicultural, and multidisciplinary teams and stakeholders
- Passion for learning about new technologies
- Self-motivated and resourceful
- Proven bias toward action and success working in a fast-paced environment
- Undergraduate degree in English, PR, Journalism, Marketing, or a related discipline