DevOps Technical Writer at DigitalOcean
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about helping developers learn everything they need to know to deploy their apps to the cloud.
We are looking for an expert DevOps Technical Writer who will help create educational resources on open-source cloud technologies for DigitalOcean’s Community site. Reporting to the Manager of Developer Education, the DevOps Technical Writer will research, plan, write, and maintain tutorials and curricula that help developers and businesses understand the foundations of cloud computing and leverage its emerging technologies. The DevOps Technical Writer should have a deep understanding of developing and deploying cloud-native applications, and be ready to generate tutorial ideas that explain critical concepts, solve problems, lessen pain points, and empower developers to make informed decisions about their use of the cloud. The DevOps Technical Writer will also participate in shared team tasks, such as peer reviewing team content, updating existing tutorials, participating in content sprints, and using internal and external data to drive content strategy. This is an opportunity to help educate the millions of users that visit DigitalOcean’s Community site each month and contribute to the future of developer education for the quickly growing cloud industry.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Research, develop, and write tutorials and curricula on cloud fundamentals and open-source cloud technologies using DigitalOcean’s Technical Writing Guidelines. You should be comfortable writing about topics like configuration management, monitoring, containerization, CI/CD, microservices, automation, and APIs.
- Actively contribute to the Developer Education’s content strategy by staying up to date with emerging trends in the cloud community, collaborating with relevant teams in the Marketing Department, and using internal and external data to identify high-impact tutorial and curriculum ideas.
- Contribute to Developer Education team tasks such as maintaining the Community site’s library of tutorials and participating in content sprints on a wide range of technical topics.
- Participate in the Developer Education peer review process by providing and accepting feedback to ensure content meets our high standards.
- A deep understanding of open-source cloud technologies and concepts and an ability to organize this knowledge into educational content that helps developers succeed. We are especially interested in candidates with experience in technical writing or technical documentation. If you have a writing sample that shows your expertise in this area, please share them in your application.
- Experience building or supporting cloud-native architectures and an empathetic understanding of the challenges and opportunities that come with the territory.
- Analytical and data-driven approach to evaluating the business impact of your work. You have a results-oriented mindset and are committed to making sure your efforts contribute to the overarching goals of the business.
- You are a supportive team player who enjoys collaborating with colleagues and contributing to a positive team culture.
- A strong command of the English language and an ability to translate complex technical concepts into clear, accessible prose.
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Marketing #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Marketing team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!