Commissioning Editor - Theatre & Performance Studies at Informa (Remote)
Informa is a leading academic publishing, business intelligence, knowledge and events business, creating unique content and connectivity for customers all over the world. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a member of the FTSE 100.
Taylor & Francis Group an Informa Business
Taylor & Francis Group produces high quality, peer reviewed books and journals. We produce unique, trusted content by expert authors, spreading knowledge and promoting discovery globally. We aim to broaden thinking and advance understanding, providing academics and professionals with a platform to share ideas and realise their individual potential.Job Description
Please ensure your application is submitted by the closing date of Sunday 17th July 2022
We have an exciting opportunity for an Editor II to join our Theatre and Performance Studies list at Routledge to work on a broad range of both professional and academic titles including books on Theatre Studies, Musical Theatre, Political Theatre, World Theatre, Theatre History, Dance, and Performance Studies.
You will continue to grow the Theatre and Performance Studies list by developing a strong commissioning strategy in line with overall team objectives, including developing an awareness of the academic and professional market and competitor strengths/weaknesses to take advantage of any gaps and opportunities in the market.
The role will involve working closely with the existing Theatre and Performance Studies editors and authors and managing an editorial assistant. It will also involve liaison with editorial colleagues across the wider Humanities and Media Arts teams and other internal departments such as production, marketing, rights, and sales to champion our titles and ensure our publishing goals are met.
What you'll be doing:
- Meeting annual commissioning and revenue goals, commissioning new books and revisions of backlist titles across a range of text types that respond to market needs;
- Managing an editorial assistant to ensure that manuscripts are submitted on time and handed over to production on schedule, and that publication dates are met;
- Identifying market needs and recruiting authors to write books that meet said needs; evaluating book proposals for quality, content and market viability;
- Proposing quality projects to publishing committee, including compiling an internal proposal document and preliminary financial costing;
- Negotiating contract terms with authors and/or their representatives to arrive at favorable agreements;
- Co-managing an extensive backlist of Theatre and Performance Studies titles, and proposing revisions where appropriate;
- Working closely with two other Theatre and Performance Studies editors to develop and maintain strategy for the Theatre and Performance Studies list as a part of the overall strategy of the Humanities and Media Arts department;
- Working closely with authors, and editorial, production, marketing and sales colleagues to ensure that goals are met.
What we're looking for:
- You'll be a self-starter who can work quickly and independently, while liaising effectively with team members globally;
- You'll have excellent written and verbal communication skills, be highly organized, detail-oriented, and have a financial focus and ability to budget and analyse financial data, as well as the ability to prioritize workload under pressure;
- Experience in academic publishing and familiarity with all aspects of the textbook and professional book publishing process;
- Experience commissioning and negotiating contract terms is highly desirable; a general interest in the subject area would be welcomed but is not a requirement.
What we offer in return:
- 25 days annual leave
- 4 volunteering days annually
- Day off for your birthday
- Pension contributions
- Seasonal social and charitable events
- Training and development opportunities
You must have the right to work and live in the UK.
This role is open to candidates in all locations across the UK. Taylor & Francis has multiple options for how employees can work based on their role – be that in the office, at home or somewhere in between.
At Taylor & Francis we care about our colleagues, promoting work-life balance, wellbeing and flexible working. We believe that the skills and experience you bring to Taylor & Francis are invaluable. We want you to have the opportunity to develop your abilities, and to innovate and develop in areas which you are passionate about.