Back-End Technical Writer at DigitalOcean
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are inspired to make technology accessible to everyone by teaching others about cloud infrastructure and software development.
The Community Developer Education team raises awareness of DigitalOcean within the broader developer community by creating approachable, high-quality learning resources on a variety of cloud computing, open-source, and software engineering topics. All members of the Developer Education team are united by an interest in helping developers, learning deeply about technology, and creating the most useful educational materials possible. We are growing and are looking to bring in new teammates eager to help us expand and improve our library of technical tutorials to maximize their value to our community.
The Back-End Technical Writer will play an integral role in creating back-end educational resources for DigitalOcean’s Community site by researching and identifying relevant topics, developing learning paths, writing tutorials, and staying up-to-date with back-end technologies and trends. Additionally, the Back-End Technical Writer will also participate in shared team tasks, such as peer reviewing team content, updating existing tutorials, participating in content sprints, and using internal and external data to drive content strategy. Ideal candidates will possess deep expertise in one or more programming languages and a capacity to learn more as our content needs adjust.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Identifying timely and relevant back-end educational topics by staying up to date with emerging trends in back-end web development and using internal and external data sources.
- Collaborating with team members and other Marketing teams to ensure our educational content supports business goals.
- Contributing to Developer Education team tasks such as maintaining the Community site’s library of tutorials and participating in content sprints on a wide range of technical topics.
- Participating in the Developer Education peer review process by providing and accepting feedback to ensure content meets our high standards.
- A deep understanding of back-end technologies and concepts and an ability to organize this knowledge into educational content that helps developers succeed. We are especially interested in candidates with experience in technical writing or technical documentation. If you have a writing sample that shows your expertise in this area, please share them in your application.
- Experience in back-end web development and an empathetic understanding of the challenges and opportunities that come with the territory.
- Analytical and data-driven approach to evaluating the business impact of your work. You have a results-oriented mindset and are committed to making sure your efforts contribute to the overarching goals of the business.
- You are a supportive team player who enjoys collaborating with colleagues and contributing to a positive team culture.
- Demonstrated ability to research and understand new and unfamiliar subjects.
- A strong command of the English language and an ability to translate complex technical concepts into clear, accessible prose.
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Marketing #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Marketing team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!